Mallku Villamar

Mallku Villamar, Bolivia

Mallku Villamar Reviews

sweettangerine sweettan…
a shelter in the middle of nowhere Jul 29, 2011
Unfortunately I do not even remember the name of this accommodation; but it is a very primitive space for the night at the edge of Mallku Villamar. We staid there on our first night of the salt flats tour.

The accommodation is made up of a number of rooms around a courtyard and there's a heated! "comedor" as well as a small block with toilets a sink and a shower.

With 6 girls we were accommodated in a large room with six beds. The beds had sheets and blankets but as there was zero heating in the room and big gaps underneath the door, the space was ice and ice cold. With a heavy duty sleeping bag underneath the bed covers, it was however survivable and even comfy.

The men who shared a sleeping room on the windy side of the building and used no sleeping bag, were all complaining about how cold it was... and those were no whimps.

The "comedor" or "dining room" consisted of two parts, one below and one up, with a stove in between. The stove heated up the place pretty well and it was nice and warm inside. We had our own cook with us who prepared the food and it was all delicious and warm.

No-one tried the showers so I cannot tell how they were ;-) The wash basin however had only cold water so was only useful for brushing teeth :-)

Needless to say that the toilet block was freezing cold so I hardly drank at dinner to avoid going out to the toilet in the middle of the night!

It was a very basic night in the middle of a very barren landscape, but that added also to the charm of the trip. I do not even know if this place is somewhere bookable on the web. I presume the space is rented out through travel companies only.
the hostal on top of the small hill
girls room from the outside
the "girls" room
the "comedor"
sweettangerine says:
De wereld is klein niet! En ja hoor, de koude is al lang weer vergeten :-)
Posted on: Sep 21, 2011
marg_eric says:
heb op dezelfde plek kou geleden... maar wel mooi hè!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Mallku Villamar

Into the desert of Bolivia....
At 09:00 we checked out of Hotel Don Tomás and were transferred to the Bolivian boarder Hito Cajon for our 3 Day Overland Jeep trek to the Uyuni Salt Flat. Before starting on our trip we had to f…Mallku in Villamar (1.5 hrs from Laguna Colorada). It was a very rudimentary little house, owned by the local…
Pristine lakes and lamas
(for Dutch scroll down / Nederlandse versie beneden) I only wake up when the cell phone of one of my roommates start ringing. Despite the rather basic circumstances, I have slept wonderfully. And I … English translation coming) Ik word pas wakker wanneer de GSM van één van mijn kamergenoten afloopt. Ondanks de…
Mallku Villamar Map