Malbork / Marienburg Castle

55 647 09 76

Malbork / Marienburg Castle Reviews

Mofra Mofra
Excellent day trip Oct 04, 2012
Having heard about "the biggest brick castle in the world" and knowing I would have some free time in the North of Poland, I planned this as a day trip from Gdansk by train.

A ticket from the main station in Gdansk to Malbork town was cheap enough, with a change of trains in Tczew. If in doubt, every young person in Poland seems to speak English ranging from pretty good to excellent. The train ride is a chance to see some of teh country-side away from touristy areas.

The Castle is a short walk through the small town which is pleasant enough, and there is a large model of the castle on the way.

I managed to visit on a Monday which offers a cheap rate but with some sections of the castle closed to the public. No matter, the audio-guide was excellent and being self-guided you can go at your own pace. The history of the castle is explained, as well as the damage and reconstruction efforts after WW2. There have been centuries of additions which make it one of the bigger castles in Europe>

The restaurant is also worth checking out, with a couple of 15th century recipes on the menu.
ilserita says:
Nice review! I had planned to visiting this castle this August, but I had to cancel my Poland trip.. Hope to get an opportunity to go there soon! The castle looks very interesting!!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2012
camwilde camwilde
Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork Dec 19, 2012
While on a school field trip on the way to Oliwa Cathedral, we stopped at this castle. We only got to see if from the outside but it was quite impressive. While compiling my list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites I've visited, I realized this was among them. It is the largest castle in the world when calculation surface area. The Teutonic Knights built the castle and which was completed in 1406. Having only seen the outside, it was quite impressive, but I really want to return and give it a proper visit.
Castle of the Teutonic Order in Ma…
Paulianthomas Pauliant…
The Citadel of the Teutonic Knights Jan 11, 2010
Malbork / Marienburg castle was the home of the Teutonic Order. After the fall of Jerusalem, the Order turned its attentions to the northern crusade against Pagan tribes. The order built many red-brick castles, cathedrals and towns to quell and subdue the natives. Red-bricks were used as all settlements were built without roads, instead the materials were floated down river. In the 16th century the poles eventually captured the castle from the Order, after never fully recovering from their defeat at the battle of Tannenburg.

Arriving by train from Gdansk, you will gasp as trundling across a bridge a giant red-brick citadel suddenly comes into view. In my opinion, this castle is one of the most amazing sites in the world, but for some reason it is not very famous. Lonely Planet Europe doe not even mention its existance! A short walk from the train station takes you to the rear of the castle, where the size of the building soon comes apparent. The only other castle I have seen that comes close in size is the Citadel of Aleppo. If possible, take a guided tour, as this is the only way to gain access to the fortified cathedral’s top tower. Also, a walk around the castle and river allows for some stunning photography opportunities.
Rear of the castle
Western side of the Citadel
View across the river

Related Travel Blogs About Malbork / Marienburg Castle

Largest Brick Medieval Castle in the World
Another night of sleeping in my clothes and jacket beneath the two blankets! It was cold in my basement room. The early morning racket above my head didn’t help either. I looked exhausted and felt …Marienburg (Mary’s Castle), which is now Malbork. They were basically hired by several different royals to invade and Christianize…

Check Malbork Hotel Deals