Malany Guesthouse

Check Vang Vieng Hotel Deals

Malany Guesthouse Vang Vieng Reviews

skinny_phil skinny_p…
Cheap & cheerful hotel/guesthouse in central Vang Vieng. Sep 30, 2009
We ended up here by default as this is where our ride to Vang Vieng dropped us (yes, yes - I know their trick!), however we took a look around and decided it was good for the money.

The best things about this guesthouse are the price, the quality of the room, the view from the balcony & the value for money. I'll go into each in a little more detail.

As I've said, this place is cheap - but the rooms don't reflect that. We had a room with a double bed and a single bed. It had a TV, separate (tiled!) bathroom, shower, cabinets and bedside tables. It was clean and very habitable. As you can see from one of the photos I've uploaded, the front of the guesthouse is made up of one large balcony on each floor. On each floor there are a couple of tables and chairs and they are lovely areas to chill, have a drink and smoke, take in the views and meet the other people on your floors.

I've also uploaded a photo of the excellent view from the balconies.

In the reception area they have a fridge that sells the essentials (yes, that does include the be all and end all of beers - Beer Lao!) and they also rent out dry-bags for tubing with. They offer a laundry service too.

The only minor drawbacks with this place are the huge steps to get to each floor and also that the staff could be a little friendlier. They also lock the fridge fairly early too!

There is also a Malany Lodge down the road, however I cannot comment on the place.

Also, whilst we were staying here - there was a food stall out front each night selling delicious chicken baguettes! Also worth a try!

All in all, a very nice and cheap place to lay your head!
The front of the guesthouse.
The view from one of the floors.
JeAr JeAr
Fancy Some Used Towels? :D Jul 29, 2008
For a small town like Vang Vieng, Malany Guesthouse is big. Five storeys, if I'm not mistaken (no elevators). Big balconies on each floor with a nice view of the mountains (not private, though).

The place is also quite old, and has this creepy feel to it, like those ghost-infested places that you see in movies (awooo). I even started hearing voices, but I realized that there are people in the other rooms wehehehe. There is one long, dark hallway with rooms on both sides, and ours was almost at the very end of it. Creepy.

The room had one big bed (good for sharing), a closet with a mirror, a night table, air-con, and only one light bulb mounted on the wall (major creepy). All the furnitures were ancient (again, creepy). But wait til you see the bathroom.

It was cavernous! Almost as big as the bedroom, but 10 times creepier! Don't try to talk, because you'd hear echos bouncing back from all directions for several minutes! Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it's really huge. Good for singing-in-the-shower type of people, though :D

The water temperature was hard to adjust, so expect some scalding instances from time to time (or maybe it was just our room). They also 'forgot' to provide towels until we asked for them, and when they did, they gave us freshly-used ones. If you're kinky, that's great, right? If not, bring your own.

There was also this incidence: A lady guest asked the manager to fix the shower in her room. He went up with another guy, and they ended up harassing her, sexually. The poor lady got traumatized and asked his friends to check out, but the creepy manager wouldn't let them unless they pay for the other night that they booked for even though they won't use the room anymore. Now that's creepy.

So, why would you want to check in? Because it's cheap (around USD10 per room), has a cavernous bathroom that can fit a whole basketball team (wink wink) and they provide one bottle of mineral water, which in my opinion was the best thing about the place!

And of course, who can forget the used towels? ;D
just ignore the monster at the fro…
JeAr says:
hahaha! i didn't enjoy it cuz i had to eat very quickly, but i'm done now so i'm finishing this review ;D
Posted on: Nov 19, 2008