Mala Wailea

3700 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, HI, USA

Mala Wailea Reviews

Eric Eric
Beautiful view, bland food, worse service Mar 29, 2009
Mala is a snazzy restaurant located in a beautiful, partly outdoor setting, in the Marriott. However, it seems like one of those restaurants that are all flash, little substance, with poor service and barely better food.

Let's start with the positives. It's in a beautiful outdoor setting, and during sunset there are spectacular views. It's prices, although still too expensive by any other city's standards, are relatively cheaper than many other nice restaurants in Maui. Which means you'll be paying $30 an entree rather than $40 or $50.

Now the negatives. The service was terrible, among the worst I've experienced. First off, the waiter forgot to bring our drinks. I had to get up and find someone to remind them. He came back, apologized, and said that it was really someone else's job to bring the drinks over, and that they had simply been left at the bar. He said he'd remake a tropical iced drink for Lisa (because it had probably melted by then), but apparently he forgot to ask them to pour me another glass of beer, because by the time it arrived it was lukewarm.

When another server brought our appetizers, I mentioned that my beer was warm, and asked for another one. I saw him approach our waiter at another table, inform him of the situation, and he returned to tell us that the waiter would be right with us to get me another drink. Unfortunately, the waiter just left without stopping by our table, and after I few minutes I had to get up again and find someone to get me another drink. At this point I was doing more walking than eating.

When the entrees came, at first I liked my entree (the hawaiian special fish, `Opakapaka ), but then Lisa had a bite and mentioned it tasted kind of bland. Maybe by this point I was sufficiently frustrated enough where I was just looking for more faults with the restaurant, but for whatever reason the fish started tasting flavorless to me at that point too.

I could go on but it would probably just bring up bad memories. Maybe you could have a good experience at this restaurant if you received better service, but given that this is your vacation, I'd highly recommend checking elsewhere and avoiding the risk entirely.
Africancrab says:
I love tipping when service is great :)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
lisa says:
aww :P you were nice to leave a tip
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009

Compare Wailea-Makena Hotel Rates (0.3km away)

Mala Wailea Map