Makoura Lodge

06-328 4746

Makoura Lodge Apiti Reviews

goezi goezi
Rural Kiwi experience Feb 02, 2009
I first spent a week at Makoura Lodge at the end of 2007 when my work group had our annual conference here.

We were here to learn of course but this place combines learning with the thrill and excitement of New Zealand's great outdoors. Makoura Lodge is the home of the Toyota NZ 4 wheel drive course but it's not just Toyota that use this place, more and more companies, like the NZ Police, are finding the facilities here are top rate!

I returned for the same course in February 2009 when I had to undergo more 4WD training prior to my deployment to Timor Leste and the Lodge was just as accomodating as it had been 14 months before.

Situated 7km from the small village of Apiti, Makoura Lodge is a well built farm homestead that has been developed to cater for the needs of those wanting the rugged NZ experience but like the compforts of a nice motel and a great restaurant. It lays on 350 acres of farmland owned by the family since 1896.

You must book to get in here as the lodge can only sleep about 30 people but has a constant flow of groups pouring through. It may not be a place where you would stop on your way to anywhere as it's out in the middle of pretty much no-where, but if you wanted to have a conference, as we did, do a team building course, or thought about finally getting hitched to that special someone then I think this would be the place to do it.

The main dining room/lounge of the lodge is very nice. It has a huge fireplace and a bar for the end of the day. We did all our lectures here and also eagerly awaited the meals to be served as the cooking smells filtered from the kitchen just off to the side.

The meals are fantastic. A terrific selection of wild NZ fare. Most of the cuts of meat; lamb, beef, pork or venison came from animals right here on the working farm. Breakfasts, lunches, or dinners were all as good as we could hope them to be and the great thing about the Lodge is that they are able to take casual diners if you do happen to be lost in the area and feeling a bit peckish.

Obviously we were here for the driving but the lodge caters for most adventures; tramping, fishing, farm tours, clay bird shooting, horse trekking, mountain biking or of course quad biking if you don't want to peddle.

For those who like the slower pace there is a fine selection of historical literature in the lodge library so relax by the fire with a good book after an easy day of petanque or lawn golf.
Makoura Lodge entrance
The bar
goezi says:
When we got there the training is in conjunction with a Porirua Polytech and they provide the vehicles.
The quad bikes belong to the Lodge so it can work whichever way satisfies.
C
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
sounds like a fun place! do they provide the off road vehicles or do you bring your own?
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009
mkrh mkrh
Out In The Wop Wops Apr 01, 2009
More to come after I return and get internet coverage
The road to the lodge.

Related Travel Blogs About Makoura Lodge

Driving rough!
We did our four wheel driver training at the Makoura Lodge at Apiti.  This is a place I had been before as part of my driver training role.  We did the same course in 2007 so it wasn't that…Makoura Lodge at Apiti.  This is a place I had been before as part of my driver training role…
Makoura Lodge Map