Thatta, Pakistan

Makli Thatta Reviews

hammyyy hammyyy
Its different, its magical! Mar 03, 2011
Right the backyard of Karachi, its a huge necroplis, perhaps one of the largest in the world. Its not interesting for being a necropolis, clearly, for it would rather be pretty haunting, BUT, I tell you, its anything but.

It has as many as a hundred thousand graves, named and un-named, of warriors and saints from Central Asia, Asia and Turkey, centuries-old, beautiful architecture. This surreal place is surrounded by snake-charmers though. You will find plenty gypsies wandering around this green shrine which itself looks bohemian and has an out-of-this-world air about it. It's magical, trust me!

Just about half-hour drive ahead is the town of Thatta, a nice countryside, so serene that it at times feels strange being right in the neighborhood of chaotic, massive Karachi. There's this huge lake called Kinjhar lake and right in the centre of the lake is the grave of Noori (The local version of Juliet of this ancient folklore which is termed as the Romeo and Julient of Indus). You can simply hire a boat and take a trip up there.

There are many nice little cottages around the bank of this lake. Rely on the fresh outta-lake fish for food when there..

Bonne voyage!
hammyyy says:
I will keep that in my mind next time I thnk about writing again :)
Posted on: Mar 06, 2011
MrD3071 says:
I'll be interested to read your future reviews
Posted on: Mar 05, 2011
hammyyy says:
Thank you all :) A lil effort indeed. I could've done better but will defo do when I have more time. Right now running mad preparing for my US trip
Posted on: Mar 05, 2011