Maki Maki

71 Fortune Drive, Irvine, CA, USA - (949) 341-9001

Maki Maki Irvine Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Horrible Service! Jun 08, 2008
The first time I went to Maki Maki in the Irvine Spectrum with fellow TB'ers back in February - we had a great time and although pricey, the sushi was excellent. This is where Angel and I fell in love with the Masquerade Ball which is basically a seafood stuffed avocado deep fried in tempura batter. Heaven! We'd been craving it and when we had the post meet gang headed to the OC after the unofficial June meet up, we instantly thought we'd go to Maki Maki, especially since they had an all-you-can eat buffet on the weekends.

Angel had made reservations for a group of 11 and as we were pulling in the parking structure they called wanting to know if we were still coming (we were a couple minutes behind schedule). Angel explained we were in the parking strucure trying to find someplace to park and that there were several members of our group that were supposed to be in there already. They said they were just calling to verify we were still coming otherwise they would give our table away.

We rush inside thinking they are packed and there are only about two occupied tables in the entire restaurant! We had several non-sushi eaters with us which is part of why we picked this location as they serve non-sushi items on their menu.

As we were perusing the menu, the waitress came over and asked whether we were there for the all-you-can-eat or regular menu. We told her we had several that would be ordering off the menu as they do not even eat sushi. What I heard next caused my jaw to drop. She said that we cannot order different things and everyone either must order the all-you-can-eat or no one can. We asked why and she said they were worried about people sharing. We tried again to explain that we had non fish eaters so it would be pretty obvious if they were eating sushi. We offered to split the tables even and put all the "menu" ordering people there. They told us no once again.

At this point, Melanie and I looked at each other since we both go to all you can eat sushi places which are very busy and popular, where it would be completely easy to share and even they let the table order individually.

Melanie asked to speak to the manager on duty and when she came over (I believe her name was Kim) she was completely apathetic and almost cold. She didn't care that they were about to lose 11 peoples' business not to mention the subsequent negative reviews which would follow! I was very disappointed in her complete disregard for customer service. We were very respectful and questioned whether they were willing to let that much business walk out the door and she said yes.

Their website touts they have the largest hot kitchen and for those who have not yet caught the sushi craze, they offer NY steaks, fresh oysters, teriyaki, tempura, and shabu shabu. Guess that offer only stands if the whole table is not filled with sushi eaters!

Not sure whether the other locations would have the same silly rules, but note they have another location in Riverside and two new ones coming to Los Angeles (Farmers Market/Grove) and the Gas Lamp District in San Diego.

Although it was excellent the first time I eat there and no matter how much I continue to crave the Masquerade Ball, I will find a way to duplicate it or go without before I ever give them my business again.
The Masquerade Balls from the last…
Kathryn Kathryn
Terrible service and over priced food Jul 15, 2008
Ive been here three times over the course of a few years and it seems the service has gotten worse and worse and the prices more and more expensive.

The latest time both the server and the manager were downright rude.

Check Irvine Hotel Deals