Make sure you have gas on your car in Bilbao

Bilbao, Spain

Make sure you have gas on your car in Bilbao Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Getting nervous Dec 24, 2012
When we parked the car the day before we only had a couple of liters diesel on the car, the car indicated that we had 40 km left before the car was empty. Started the morning by visiting the Guggenheim and from there on we started to look for Diesel. Bilbao was naturally very busy, the shops were open and there were loads of people looking for that last Christmas gifts.

The first gas station that we had found on the GPS turned out to not be there, and at this point my indicator in the car stopped indicating how many kilometers that were left and that has never been a good sign. We put the next one in as target in the GPS and it was a couple of kilometers away but we had to drive across the city center. Given the traffic we were driving in one long queue.

I had no feeling if we had any gas left and Bilbao is quite hilly as well and I kept on crossing my fingers that we still had some diesel left. When we arrived at the next gas station we were not even possible to get in line because there was a line of 50 cars. I thought that I had arrived in the old days of Eastern Europe.

I spotted another gas station nearby by that one turned of to be closed and people were getting really angry hammering on the windows were the owner walked around with a Christmas hat on and Silly glasses. People were screaming and going on by then we decided to leave this place as this was not moving anywhere.

At this point I was getting really about how much diesel that we had left. We had seen a very small one man gas pump on the other side of a river on the way up so we decided to go for that one even though we did not knew we had gas enough on the car or if they had petrol or diesel in the one pump that he had.

It took us more than 30 minutes to get us back and I guess that we were driving on fumes when we rolled down to the pump. When we came there the guy was gone and we just could not believe it. He had been there 40 min earlier when we saw him the first time. Suddenly he came running from a café near by and we had in the mean while spotted that he was selling diesel. The feeling we had at that moment was pure relief.

We got out of the car with sweat on our forehead and smiled a bit more than before looking at the sun and the busy Bilbao. The guy started to fill the car and towards the end he started to look at the car and the gas pump in a strange way. He managed to get 73 liters of gas in the car, which means that the car was running on fumes.
Under a street lamp