Makassar Airport, South Sulawesi

Jl. Raya Airport No 1, Makassar, Indonesia - +62 411 550123 (5 lines)
Makassar Airport, South Sulawesi - The Manokwari airport/runway/passenger deplaning

Makassar Airport, South Sulawesi Reviews

o_dog o_dog
Makassar South Sulawesi Airport Nov 18, 2010
Makassar’s Sultan Hasanuddin airport was newly renovated and boasted a massive dome-like construction that housed the main terminals, offices, and shops. Once I deplaned and walked through the terminal hallway I noticed a display of a huge replica of the signature traditional sail ship, Phinisi, at the center of the hallway. The airport seemed larger inside than it looked – the high ceilings and large glass windows really did make the boundaries disappear. There was many cleaning staff mopping the large, diagonally-tiled floors.

My connecting flight was scheduled to take off at 3 a.m. – yes, that early –and when I got to the checkin counter it was not open yet and there was no staff manning the airline office nearby either. Soon I found out that I was 3 and half hours early for the flight, and about 2 hours early before the ground crew showed up. So I thought, okay, let me find somewhere to sit down and wait.

I noticed that the airport security system was very loose. I was not sure if the late in the night shift had to do with that, though. For example, there was an exit door by in the check in area by the luggage screening machines. The door was available to let passengers out of the checkin area after checking in to the unrestricted area where they could rejoin family members or people coming to see them off. Anyway, the door was widely open. You could see the street outside from where I was sitting in the checkin area. There were some airport authorities around the area but they did not stay on their posts for very long. They seemed to like to walk around and stand by an airline counter listening to angry passengers, obviously not happy about something, talking to an airline representative.
The Manokwari airport/runway/passe…