Majestic Puraran Beach Resort

Check Baras Hotel Deals

Majestic Puraran Beach Resort Baras Reviews

SLC_DAS SLC_DAS
Quiet isolated Beach resort Sep 20, 2012
I was finally able to visit it last July after a 20 year absence and it is still amazing. they have moved the huts back to the edge of the beach, instead of the middle of it. This was to be save the huts from typhoons, but, it also made the beach 4 times larger. Accommodations are either 500 php or brand new huts for 1,000, that are very nice. I told them what flight I was arriving on and the owners son (who lives in Virac) met me at the airport in a trike and took me to the Purarran Jeepney that dropped me off at the resort 90 minutes later (~35 php) It could not be easier.
A 2 dollar breakfast
One of the newer Bungalows
where you eat your meals
View from my Bungalow
fooprick fooprick
Nipa Hut in Paradise Sep 12, 2009
My friends and I got to Puraran Beach by a rented van which was the same one that took us around Catanduanes, so I can't comment on how accessible the place is.

Their staffs are informative, polite and accommodating. Exercise your persuasion skills and you might be able to haggle their rates for the food and board rental. We were eight in the group so that might have made it easier for us to convince them.

Hut (bed, fan, bathroom): 350 pesos/night

Board rental: 300 pesos/whole day

Instructor fee: 100 pesos/hour

The super basic amenities reflect the lifestyle in the province (i.e. early to bed, early to rise). That is why there is no TV, cable, internet connection, and hot and cold shower.

With a fine weather, you most probably won't coop up in your room. Nights are cool so a fan suffices.

Each room/hut can accommodate two persons. With additional mattresses or folding beds, it can hold another two.

The hut and the bathroom are averagely clean. I only rated the bathroom with a two so you don't expect any modern fixtures in it.

The resort and the surrounding area seem secure. Our hut didn't have any lock. In hindsight, I wonder why we didn't raise that concern to the staff. Then again, the place is pretty remote, so we soon learnt to be at ease leaving our valuables in the room and sleeping with neither the door nor windows closed. This is an exception to the rule though. Never do this in other places.

Unlike more popular and accessible surfing sites, Puraran sees less surfing students. That is probably why the instructor fee is only 100 pesos per hour. If you plan to surf on a Sunday, I would suggest you find an instructor at least a day before because you won't find a sober one on Sundays. They get wasted pretty early.

We got three surf guides from this resort, but don't expect that they would walk you through surfing 101 and safety as experienced instructors would. Maybe because they're young (14 - 20 years old) surfers for competition than for instruction. If you're a beginner and new to this place, get one.
SLC_DAS says:
It is amazing I stayed here 1/2 a dozen times 20 years ago and the cost is about the same in US Dollars (although may be a little more now)
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009