36/38 Victoria St, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Maison Bleue Restaurant Edinburgh Reviews

shavy shavy
Good for formule lunch Oct 22, 2017
This restaurant is overcrowded when we get there. I see most of restaurants in Edinburgh is closed on sunday afternoon, so no wonder why this place is full. Once we're inside a staff welcomed us and directly saying that no tables available if we don't mind waiting for 10 minutes or coming back later. As I'm hungry and can't walk anymore we're waiting. While in the waiting area we have seen the menu

More people coming inside and they also had to wait, and I noticed we're waited for almost 30 minutes already, just on time a man came to us and said there's already a table free, he took us upstairs. To my surprised I see plenty of tables free upstairs and why we have to wait 30 minutes I don't understand

He give us the menu, but we already made our choice while we're waiting. We took the formule lunch 2 main courses for 14.50£

For starter I choose; Tartine de Gruyère et jambon (Toasted sourdough with Gruyère & ham). For mains: slow cooked pork belly, served with lardons and puy lentils.

Didier choose for starter: Haggis Balls deep fried in beer batter, whisky juice. For mains: minute steak served with fries and peppercorn sauce.

Despite of very busy, our food served in less than 20 minutes - my entree is really good, but the main dish in contrary is terrible. The pork belly served with puy lentils I don't like it and the pork belly is so fatty. I had a better pork belly last night in other restaurant. Didier had luck with his food, is all good for him. On our way back to the hotel I grab a slice pizza as I don't have enough.
Minute steak with fries
Pork belly with py lintels
Haggis balls
TRE69 TRE69
Best Meal in Edinburgh! Jan 04, 2008
Maison Bleue Restaurant is fantastic bistro-like establishment in Old Town Edinburgh, a short distance away from the Royal Mile/High Street. The building is painted a bright cobalt blue so you can't miss it.

For a Friday night, this place was not busy and we were able to walk in and get a table for 3 without reservations. The hostess quickly seated us at a table beneath a stone archway. The dining area was romantically lit with very few overhead lamps and plenty of tabletop candle light.

Based on the menu, the cuisine was a mix of French and North African dishes using Scotland sourced ingredients. You can order from the Á la Carte Menu or the Le Banquet Bleu menu, which is a prix fixe 3 course meal for £20. Since having eaten at Maison Bleue, they have also added a Lunch & Pre-theatre menu as well as a special 3 course dinner for students with valid student IDs for £15.

Francisco ordered the Brochette mix which were skewers of merguez (spicy lamb) sausage, marinated chicken, and a grilled prawn served with harrissa couscous and mixed green salad.

Mar ordered the Ribeye steak au poivre à la Française served with pommes chateau and mixed green salad.

I ordered the prix fixe menu.

To start, I chose the Loch Linnhe mussels in a butter wine sauce. They served quite a large bowl of mussels! The mussels were cleaned very well...no grit or sand. They were meaty and very flavorful...who DOESN"T like butter wine sauce right?

For the main course I chose the Medallions of venison in a sweet red currant, black pepper and brandy sauce, served with pommes Lyonnaise and haricots verts. I never had venison before so this was an adventurous meal...and what a treat! The meat was tender and the sauce had the perfect amount of peppery bite. The haricots verts were cooked yet still crisp. The pommes Lyonnaise was mediocre.

For dessert was tarte tatine a la mode which was a fabulous end to a wonderful meal!

The service was quick and didn't hover. The dining area was a bit dim for my liking but it definitely set an intimate ambiance.

Maison Bleue is lovely place to dine when in Edinburgh. I would most definitely return the next time I am in town!
Loch Linnhe mussels
Me and a hearty helping of Scotlan…
Francisco and Mar
Glynnes says:
The food dishes look good!
Posted on: May 14, 2010