Mahakarya Borobudur

Mahakarya Borobudur - The main stupa revealed at the end of the performance

Mahakarya Borobudur Magelang Reviews

YantiSoeparno YantiSoe…
A Spectacular Colossal Dance Performance Jun 26, 2011
Mahakarya Borobudur is a one hour dance performance about the history of Borobudur Temple. Mahakarya means "great work". It is undoubtedly that Borobudur Temple is a great work. I personally think that the dance performance is a great work as well.

I call this performance "SPECTACULAR" and "COLOSSAL" because:

1. The performers are 200 dancers. They are students of Institut Seni Indonesia Solo (Solo's Art Institute), so their passion to dance is undoubtedly. Because in Indonesia, all parents want their children to be doctors or engineers :P

2. The costumes are Javanese traditional clothes in bright colors and very eye-catching.

3. The dance has a great variety of movement, from typically graceful movement to witty dynamic one. Unfortunately, it was not mentioned who the choreographer is.

4. Last but not least, the background is the silhouette of the great art work "BOROBUDUR" Temple.

The ticket is pricey actually.

Platinum class seating 80 USD

Gold class seating 60 USD

Silver class seating 40 USD

Festival class seating 30 USD

Students get special discount. They only have to pay 50,000 IDR or 5.9 USD only.

Since it is worth with the performance, so I mentioned the price is average here.

On the website it is mentioned that the performance only takes place once a year in June. But, I got information from one of the committees that it does twice a year. She told me to check the website for the exact schedule.

They had special guest this year, Richard Gere. It was a bless to me cause I adore him since I saw "Pretty Woman" ;-) But, it was not a bless at the same time :-( Cause, in my opinion the committee was not ready. We bought 8 seats and 5 of them, the seat numbers were doubled with other guests. So, my friends had to wait very long for the committee to take care of it. Beside that, they checked the microphone where there were many guests had come.

The performance healed our disappointment of the seating arrangement and also of the guy from the travel agent where we bought the tickets. He came an hour later after we did. So, we could not be seated because we had to wait for him :P

Regardless the disappointment above, I still STRONGLY RECOMMEND all travelers to see this performance. I still want to see it again at least one more time.

The performance ends with a fire work and the revealing of the temple.
The background of the stage
The Buddhist monks characters
The knights
The graceful dancers
YantiSoeparno says:
Hahahaha I think so. He's a buddhist right? Borobudur is the biggest Buddhist temple in the world (I think). Last time, he managed to meditate during the sunrise there. I heard that many tourists want to see sunrise at Borobudur. But, i haven't seen it yet. Borobudur is on the top of a hill, so I think the view must be very beautiful.
Posted on: May 11, 2012
nanie05 says:
Wow!! It looks good - i hope to go one day Insyallah!! (And any chance of Richard Gere coming a second time..?? hehehe)
Posted on: May 08, 2012