Mackays

01971 511202

Mackays Durness Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Mackays Jul 28, 2010
Mackays is listed on this site as a hotel, but as I didn't stay there I'm rating it as a restaurant.

Mackays restaurant (pronounced McEye and for goodness sake don’t get that wrong in Durness!) is a genuinely fantastic restaurant in Durness. It is as good as anything I have eaten in any major city anywhere. The menu is quite short, which is often the sign of a kitchen that desperately wants every dish to be perfect, and it is. I suspect that if you asked them they could tell you the exact farm the beef came from, for example. The wine list is good and the desserts are nice and the service is excellent, even when the dining room is full.

The decoration is pleasant and modern without being overwhelming. There is lots of light, and the plates and tableware are local stoneware and absolutely beautiful. There is also a cozy lounge, which might be aimed at people staying in the little hotel above but I’m sure that people can go there after dinner with a drink too.

It’s worth considering reserving a table, as the restaurant is not huge and it does get full.

In any major city, this restaurant would be expensive and pretentious. But this is the middle of the Highlands, so you can come in with your walking boots on (what? I couldn’t find my shoes, OK?) and not get glared at. Service is excellent but relaxed, and although this was slightly more expensive than many meals we had, it was well worth it for the great food and the nice wine. People apparently stay in Durness to eat here – I can see why

Check Durness Hotel Deals