Machu Picchu site and museum

Machu Picchu, Peru

Machu Picchu site and museum Reviews

HelenP HelenP
Machu Picchu Archeological Site and Museum May 21, 2013
I took the bus to Machu Picchu about two pm. I was the only person on the outward journey, but passed many full busses travelling back into town; day trippers heading back for the train to Cusco.

On arrival at the site I took the steep flight of stairs to the left of the entrance for the world famous famous view. I took a few pictures, but the sun was not in the best position. As I was on my own, I asked a couple of people to take my picture and got.. Nothing! It made me wonder if digital SLR cameras set to auto are so difficult to use.

The next day I breakfasted early and caught the 7 am bus to Machu Picchu to avoid the crowds. Already there was a queue at the bus stop.

This time, as it was my second visit, I took a more leisurely approach, finding a shady viewpoint from which to both sit and reflect on the place and people watch. Despite the tourists all over the terraces with their cameras and strident voices, the place still maintains an air if serene dignity. If I sat very quietly I could still feel echoes of spirituality.

I left by ten, finally forced out by the mass influx.. If you ever spend the time and the money to visit Machu Picchu I strongly recommend that you do as I did and stay over the night as it will allow you to see the site at quieter times in the late afternoon and early morning.

I asked to be dropped off on the way back just over a mile out of town so that I could visit the Machu Picchu museum. I fist stopped off at the cafe next to the museum for a cool drink and watched coach after coach, all full of tourists drive past. I was the only customer.

I then walked the short distance to the museum, which also includes a botanical garden in the entrance fee of 23 sols, or about £6/$10 (Machu Picchu site is 128 sols plus 48 sols for the bus to and from AC, roughly £45 or $60). So a bargin in comparison

The museum was excellent, detailing the rediscovery of the site on 1912 and also the lifestyle and construction methods of the Incas who built it.

The garden was very pleasant too, cool and shady with a wide variety of plants and trees. There were only a handful of people visiting.

I am sure that a significant number of those who tramp all over machu Picchu each day would, given the knowledge of the museums existence, and opportunity to stop on the way up to the site, very much want to have the excellent background information that the museum provides.

But neither the museum nor the cafe are a part of the closed shop that is tourist brand machu Picchu. A great shame..
finally got my photo taken!
HelenP says:
Jutta, I am not sure that it is still possible to do that.. Peru rail seem to have the monopoly on transport to MP. But then again maybe I did not look hard enough for trains.
Posted on: Jun 03, 2013
Cho says:
Good blog, makes me want to go there soon! Thanks for posting.
Posted on: Jun 01, 2013

Compare Machupicchu Hotel Rates (2.4km away)

Machu Picchu Map