Machine DNA

0419 584 875

Machine DNA Hobart Reviews

Sunflower300 Sunflowe…
Machine Cafe Apr 13, 2008
When I first moved to Tassie and had yet to have my furniture delivered (so no washing machine), I use to come to Machine Cafe for breakfast every Sunday morning and bring my laundry along with me. It may seem like a strange thing to do, but this in no ordinary cafe; at this cafe, you can enjoy your breakfast while putting your clothes through the wash. With nice big clean washing machines and dryers, and yummy food on the menu, doing the laundry is no longer a chore.

This morning I came for breakfast (even though I have no need to bring the laundry here anymore). I chose an old favourite in the Eggs Benedict (AUD13.50) with a cappuccino ($3.20 regular $3.50 large). I can also highly recommend the hotcakes ($13.00) – banana and ricotta with butterscotch sauce and double cream. Yummy! The hot chocolate ($3.20 regular $3.50 large) is made with the finest Dutch cocoa, so I just had to have one of those too. They have a great choice on the menu, but I always end up going for the same thing. You can help yourself to a bottle of water and glasses from just inside the front door.

The staff are always fun, I think most are UNI students. Today it was absolute madness. As soon as a table emptied, it was cleared, wiped down and a new lot of patrons seated and served. I just kept ordering coffee because I didn’t want to leave. (I was writing to a friend and didn’t want my train of thought interrupted). The girl sitting at the table next to me on my left ordered the hotcakes, and they looked and smelt delicious. I had already finished my breakfast but boy, my eyes and nose could nearly have talked me into having a serve.

You have the choice of sitting inside or out; during the cooler months, there is a cover for the outdoor area and heaters to keep you toasty warm, but I still recommended you rug up. I nearly always end up sitting inside, however I like to sit by the window so I can watch the happening in the square out the window; kids playing, people coming and going, the fountain bubbling and life going on. There is a giant chess set next to the cafe and there is always someone having a game.

I have always had a bit of a joke with one of the waiters that he looks like the lead singer of Aussie band Eskimo Joe. He doesn’t see it himself, but everyone I point it out to agree with me. So girls, you get a little perve too. He’s a bit young for me, but lovely to look at. :) Whenever I see him, the song ‘Black Fingernails, Red Wine’ does a loop through my head.

Even on an extra busy Sunday morning, nobody had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for their meal, I saw the odd mix up with coffee/drink orders, but the staff was extremely efficient and friendly, even with the pressure they were obviously under.

Once you have finished your breakfast/brunch/lunch, you can leave your laundry and have a browse through the galleries and shops of Salamanca Place. I stopped on my way out to watch a blacksmith at work in one of the nearby arcades.
Bright cafe with a wonderful colou…
Looking towards the outdoor area
How the cafe gets its name
Anyone for a game?
Chokk says:
We have the same concept in Copenhagen - I enjoyed coming there as well. Not that I did some washing there but some of my girlfriends were hanging out there. It was a good place to hang out with them.
Posted on: Apr 19, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
Having breakfast, doing the laundery and window shopping (looking on youg guy) Thats something for me. Love this blog.
Posted on: Apr 15, 2008
villan says:
I hate washing but this sounds crazy and fun! Could be the zone for the next Levi's advert too! Well done on this deserved and informative feature!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2008