Mabel's on Main

7018 East Main Street, Scottsdale, AZ, USA - (480) 889-5580

Mabel's on Main Scottsdale Reviews

hannajax hannajax
Old World Meets Old Town Scottsdale Apr 29, 2011
Enter through the unassuming door, into a dark lounge whose walls are reminiscent of an antiquated European bar. Maroon bricks, wall sconces with candles, decadent chrystal chandeliers, heavy red velvet curtains finished with gold tassels, dark brown studded leather armchairs, marble tabletops and bar, and a bookcase with classics such as "Moby Dick," make this bar and lounge seem like it should be popping up somewhere in Amsterdam, not Old Town.

Otis redding, Marvin Gaye, and Ben E. King pipes from the speakers, it sets the mood for something sexy....perhaps some delectable nibbles while you ply your date with drinks.

This is the kind of place that I believe Hemingway would frequent, I think it should be called Hemingway's...

In turn, I began our trip with the aptly named "Hemingway Daiquiri" (Bacardi silver, fresh grapefruit and lime juice with maraschino liquor and simple syrup) which sounded good for the feminine palate, but tasted like an 80 proof man pour. The cocktail menu definitely features some very robust concoctions...I think I will stick with their wine menu.

We ordered the deviled eggs with caviar. Deviled eggs? Something I have never seen on a restaurant menu - but something which has appeared at countless potlucks and BBQs over the decades. Therefore, it was ordered purely for its audicity to appear here. With caviar, no less. And we were not disappointed by this flavor combination. But the fun didn't stop there. Immediately following came the Seared Scallops with Gremolata. Divine! Heavenly! That gremolata was so superb that I wanted to rush out to a neighboring supermarket and buy bread just so I could soak it all up. That, or I could have just licked the plate clean... (Side note...there is no bread to be found at Mabel's, so come prepared next time) And then came another blissful dish, the Bluefin Tuna Carpaccio, with blood orange and yuzu. Generous helpings of finely sliced tuna, marinated and doused with the lemony tart stylings of the yuzu and the bittersweet kick of blood orange. Absolutely beautiful.

And last but not least came the glazed pork belly. It was like a gourmet version of the pork rind, the perfect bar food, so sinful and so rich!

At the time we were there, the night was young and it was early in the week. Just a few regulars sat at the bar, but I have been here on weekends where the lounge is alive with patrons swilling cocktails, watching the game on the plasma screen, or having a private soiree in the secret room, which is accessed by way of the Batman-esque revolving door bookcase. Inside you will find one window, which affords a view of the lounge, but appears as a mirror to the guests gathered in the bar.

Sexy and mysterious place for a date, terrific stop for delectable noshes.
nyprne says:
The secret room sounds intriguing.
Posted on: May 05, 2011