MSC Cruises

Genoa, Italy

MSC Cruises Genoa Reviews

Adrian_Liston Adrian_L…
Amateur cruise line Dec 30, 2009
After coming back from a 10 day cruise with MSC cruises (on the MSC Fantasia) I would not recommend them as a cruiseline.

We picked them because the cruise went to cities we wanted to visit, so the ineptitude shown by the company was only really an irritation. The itinerary was good (even if we did skip one port without warning) and the rooms were well kept.

That is about the limit of good things I could say about MSC cruises. In every other way the staff seemed patently untrained and every system in place was unfriendly to customers. The waiting staff were particularly bad. Three times when dining together we had our meals come out more than 15 minutes apart, even when we were almost alone in the restaurant. Twice I had the wrong meals brought out and the waiters never knew what the specials were. Restaurants were unexpectedly closed, staff were rude - really it became an unpleasant chore, not helped by most meals being substandard.

Another irritation was the central management of the ship. The shore excursion desk opened at odd times and closed five minutes before the list of shore excursions came out each day. On the entire cruise there was not one shore excursion that was suitable for people with impaired mobility. Not a big deal for us, and we never use cruiseline shore excursions anyway, but for an industry specializing in elderly customers docking at some easy to navigate cities this is really inexcusable. The management would also do silly things like having only a single time where everyone on the ship (>3000 people) were allowed to pick up their passport, and then only have two staff members at the desk to do it - while five staff members were standing across the room at reception with absolutely nothing to do.

It really did seem like a shipping company had just bought a couple of cruise ships and hired Basil Fawlty to manage them - it was that comically bad at times. I would probably use them again if there was no other ship going to the ports I wanted to visit, but for anyone who enjoys the shipboard component of the cruise I would avoid this company like the plague.
sylviandavid says:
Hi Adrian.... thanks for this blog.... Cruising is a cheap way to do a holiday.... we did an Easy Cruise through the Greek delphi, Olympia & Patra area... we really liked it... but it was a bare bones cruise.. it suited us.... sylvia
Posted on: Dec 31, 2009
Adrian_Liston says:
Eh, it is a cheap way to combine hotel and transport costs, so it didn't sour the holiday at all for us - we really did have a great relaxing holiday. A lot of other passengers were not happy though...
Posted on: Dec 30, 2009
lamadude says:
wow that sucks, this is why I hate traveling in groups. Of course with a cruise you don't really have another choice since renting a cruise ship for yourself can be quite expensive ;-)

Looks like you had a nice trip nontheless, so that's what matters most
Posted on: Dec 30, 2009