MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre

www.midflorida.com - (813) 740-2446

MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre Tampa Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Nine Inch Nails & Soundgarden Apr 05, 2016
Ok, yeah, I know…this is a travel website…not a concert review site. This review is mostly about the Ampitheatre itself instead of the actual concert.

The Midflorida Credit Union Ampitheatre was formerly and unfortunately known as the 1-800 ASK GARY Ampitheatre. Seriously, don't ask…just remember that it's Florida, it's hot, and we're in the deep south. That pretty much says everything. Prior to ASK GARY it was known as the Ford Ampitheatre. Most locals refer to it as "The Ampitheatre."

The Ampitheatre is conveniently located just off of I-75 in Tampa across from the Hard Rock Casino. It's just a few miles east of historic Ybor City, which is just slightly east of Channel Side, Harbor Island, and downtown Tampa itself.

The venue seats around 20,000. It's not the largest in the area but it is one of the larger venues in the Tampa Bay Area. The majority of seating is covered and all the seats are good for an outdoor venue. There is also a lawn area in the back that is not covered. Seating in the lawn area is, of course, much cheaper. But keep in mind that it's really hot in the summer here and it also rains nearly every day.

Many, many artists have performed here ranging from Black Sabbath to Bob Dylan to Aerosmith to Radiohead to No Doubt. Performances that I personally have seen here include The Cure, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, and Stevie Nicks to name a few. The location is the Florida State Fairgrounds so they also have bands play, as well, but not always on the main stage. Other artists I have seen off of the main stage are Pat Benatar, Cheap Trick, and Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm not a professional musician. So, like my other review of State Theatre, I won't pontificate on the sound quality. I'll just say that as far as outdoor arenas go…it works for me.

Drinks are ridiculously overpriced as they always are at concert venues. $11 for a can of Yuengling. I could buy a 12 pack at the store for that. A couple of the people I talked to at the show told me that their liquor drinks were $15 each. But what are you gonna do? They know we'll pay for it. I rated it as "expensive" for the drinks and food. Tickets to the shows vary depending on the act, of course.

Parking can sometimes be less than ideal. I have found that there is a back parking lot that if you're willing to pay an extra $20 for you will find that getting in and out is a lot quicker.

As far as last night's show went…it was incredible. I went for Soundgarden. Actually I went for Chris Cornell. I'm a huge Audioslave fan. But I really like Soundgarden, too. And they did not disappoint me. Nobody can wail on vocals like Chris Cornell. Probably one of the most interesting and amazing voices I've heard in the last few decades.

I have been a passing fan of Nine Inch Nails since the late 80's but never thought it was a band that I needed to see live. Wow…was I wrong. Their performance was stunning. The music was brilliant. The stage show was stellar. If you have the chance to see either of these bands, particularly on this tour…I highly recommend them. And The Ampitheatre, as well.
hanleyscot says:
Brian - That was when I first listened to them, too. 25 or so years later I finally got to see them. It was well worth the wait!

Hali - Thanks, Hali! I actually did that review in 2014. I was just fixing a typo. haha. it's been a while since I've been on but I'm trying to catch up with the Europe blog. I'm almost done with Ireland finally.
Posted on: Apr 11, 2016
spocklogic says:
NIN's Pretty Hate Machine was quite a debut record/CD when it came out in the late 80's. Listened to it a lot.
Posted on: Apr 10, 2016
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review Scot :)
Posted on: Apr 10, 2016