MA Hostel

Check Rome Hotel Deals

MA Hostel Rome Reviews

uzmansafdar uzmansaf…
Attitude of Hostel Staff does matter May 09, 2010
We were coming from Pisa by train and didn't have a hostel/hostel book. We reached Rome at night and moved out of the station and there were a lot of hotel, internet clubs and restaurants there. Living in the close proximity of Central station was our priority during this trip. We moved around and asked for prices from various hotels but rates were quite high and we wandered in the streets. After spending half an hour we met a Bengali guy standing outside of a restaurant and he asked us for the accommodation. We told him that we were looking for a budget accommodation. He replied that we are brothers (as Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan before 1971) and you don’t need to worry and he called someone. We trusted him as my father had very good friends from Bangladesh and he used to visit Bangladesh every year to meet his friends and always praised their hospitality but this time we came across a wrong Bengali and we realized it later. He introduced himself as a comedian with a number of his acts can easily be found on youtube if one searches his name. Anyway, the guy named Monty also from Bangladesh came and the first guy told him to give us special rates as they are from Pakistan.

We moved with Monty and never asked the rates as we had a great trust on these guys now. He took us to first or second floor of a building nearby and showed us a room which was quite a mess (as some body just moved out) and we asked for the rates he said 60 euro a night. We told him it was a bit expensive as we left some hotels in the main street with a very good approach and nice rooms inclusive of breakfast and wifi as they were 90-100 euro a night. We asked him why we should stay at a place where we are neither given breakfast or have internet available. Most importantly we didn’t like the attitude of the guy as he took us to a room and told us about a cheap shared accommodation with three beds were there and a person was already staying there.

The thing which bothered us the most was that a young guy was sleeping in the room and Monty just unlocked the door and almost banged the door on wall and turned on the lights without even bothering that some one is sleeping and he is a guest to the hostel. The poor guy woke up and was pretty disturbed and I felt bad about it and adding to my anger Monty told us it was 50 euro for two and with a shared bath. Now, we realized it was not a brothers tone rather a businessman standing in front of us who never knew how to deal with a customer. Anyways my father handled the situation calmly and first he agreed to give us independent Room with breakfast for 60 euro and finally we occupied the room for 55 euro a night without breakfast.

We paid him the money and he gave us the keys and told us the procedure to enter the hostel. He further added to place our luggage in the room and as we were moving out to have dinner and area familiarization to save our next days time in following the map.

We came out and met the first Bengali Guy (Comedian) and he was quite talkative. We asked him about a restaurant with Halal Food (The term is used to designate food seen as permissible according to Islamic law, especially the meat and main difference is the way sheep/chicken is slaughtered) and he promptly directed to the restaurant he was standing at. Being Muslim we believed him and he brought us into the restaurant, we further asked for his help regarding selecting the Menu and he said ok I will make you some fine Italian cuisine. It was nice restaurant and he cooking was done inside the sitting area to give the customers aroma while cooking the stuff. But when this guy told the cook about the order and further added use the halal stuff for these guys. But the cook got the first part of order and he never knew what was Halal? This Bengali guy tried to explain him with loud voice “Muslims Muslims” and the cook didn’t get it and just nodded his head and took the order. My father got the point and told me to leave immediately and go somewhere else and saw an Arabic restaurant across the road with a signboard Halal on front door. We entered the restaurant and the first thing we asked whether the restaurant across the road offers Halal food and he confidently replied “No! you have been misguided.”

Now the Bengali guy had lost all the trust we had on him and we were pretty sure, “If he can lie to Muslim on such a issue, why should he be trusted”. And we had our Dinner and decided to had a small visit of the area we were staying. So we got a Map and moved towards the other side of the station to have a general orientation.

After one and half hour we returned to our hotel. I took some time out for the internet in a café nearby while my father called home. We had an reason added to change the hostel as the price given to us after concession was the price depicted on the site and we were quite disturbed because of the guys we interacted earlier. Anyways., we went to the room, changed and placed my camera on charge after taking room picture as the battery was low in Pisa and I never got a chance to recharge it and slept. The very next morning we changed our hostel which was 5 euro on a higher side but we were much more satisfied

Though the beds and linen was alright and I think as if it was being reused (may be I am wrong) but we were tired and had a good sleep. Room was spacious but the attached bathroom had alot of un serviceable services. and it was not clean as it should have been and and shower was not working properly and the locking mechanism of door also had a fault.

My review is based uopn the attitude of the hostel owner as I believe that the bonding between the hostel/ hotel staff and the customer is alot more important than the price as the price hardly matters. The motive should not be taking advantage of the trust or innocence of the customer but maximum facilitation of customer as this costomer facilitation/ satisfaction is the real investment in the marketing of one's business.

Having said all this, if you are not able to find a hostel in this price range I recommend this hostel considering the location.

As I cannot simply predict the circumstances that made Monty to make such mistakes, may be he had a bad day or something and to be honest I am writing this because I got a good feedback about Monty in 80% of the reviews I came across of this hostel. But the other Bengali is a man never to be trusted upon.

Check Rome Hotel Deals