Lyceum Theatre - The Lion King

Wellington Street, London, United Kingdom

Lyceum Theatre - The Lion King London Reviews

mezi mezi
Amazing Jul 13, 2012
The Lion King is a story we are all probably familiar with. The theatre show is the best I've seen to date. The vibrant colours, AMAZING costume designs, songs we can all sing along to...are all not to be missed!

I really felt involved in this show in particular because it felt like the cast were more interactive with the audience e.g. passing through the aisles, and the giraffe costumes were literally into the crowd at one point!

Like most other theatre shows you can buy the best seated tickets on the morning of the show, which is what I did. I was almost 6 rows from the stage, and being near the stalls added to the effect of feeling more involved.

The London venue is very close to Covent Garden, where there are lots of places to eat and drink.
RebeccaJAY RebeccaJ…
A real sense of growing up in this production Sep 11, 2012
I took my mum and my nephew to see this show a while back and they absolutely loved it! I don't see how someone could not connect to Simba's journey from a boy to a man! It was so moving.

Also the staging of the show was SPECTACULAR! They use puppets as the animals which was really cleverly done and not to mention visually amazing. The music also really enhances the African feel to the play and it is easy to get lost in the rhythm! My Nephew was really captivated and involved in the show - I think theatre is the perfect treat for a 5 year old as it helps them to concentrate, sit still and behave whilst they are having fun!
Leneg Leneg
Goosebumps for 3 hours! Jun 24, 2011
When you come to London, You would be so mean to yourself if you do not go to see "The Lion King" at the Lyceum Theatre! It was Amazing! I actually do not have words for it! It might seem like a lot of money, but it was worth every penny! :)
shawn83 shawn83
LION IS KING Mar 14, 2011
GO for the show.. it wont blow your mind.

Great costumes tho.. Stilts.

Watch the movie instead.. it's more entertaining
HCSmooth66 HCSmooth…
Impressive Production. A bit too artsy Sep 03, 2009
The Lion King is a pretty amazing production. I was stunned right from the start by the elaborate costumes and how they managed to portray various animals that appeared in the movie version of the Lion King. The giraffes were particularly impressive. I'm sure that it was infinitely more difficult than they made it look to portray the giraffe. Must've required massive upper body strength.

The character Pumba was done extremely well, both the actor and the costume design. I found it a little weird with Timon and Zazu, who were basically puppets played by the puppeteers holding them in plain sight. Not sure how else it should've been done, but just seemed awkward to me.

The show featured the same music and story from the movie. The songs were good, the story was good and there were parts of it that reminded me why I enjoyed the movie.

However, my biggest complaint about this is one of personal taste. I am not much into the artsy kind of performances. There was way too much dancing and things like that for my taste. The costumes, as impressive as they were, played a role in that. It seemed much more like a cross between a ballet and a musical. I prefer more musical/play than ballet.

If you like the dancing and artistic stuff then this will be a great show to see. If not you might not enjoy it unless you love the story.
lovely_lori88 lovely_l…
May 16, 2007
"Set against the majesty of the Serengeti Plains and to the evocative rhythms of Africa, Disney's multi-award winning musical 'The Lion King' will redefine your expectations of theatre. A spectacular visual feast, this adaptation of Disney's much-loved film transports audiences to a dazzling world that explodes with glorious colours, stunning effects and enchanting music. At its heart is the powerful and moving story of Simba - the epic adventure of his journey from wide-eyed cub to his destined role as King of the Pridelands."- www.londonmusicalticket.com

Right away this play takes your breath away. The opening scene is amazing where all the animals come down through the audience in their huge costumes and make it to the stage. The costumes for this play were just totally amazing!! They all had huge costumes that made them look like the animals they were supposed to be. I was really impressed with the acting, especially since there were children in this play being the part of Simba and Nala. We had about 4th row seats for only 25 pounds and we got the tickets that day from one of those booths. Definately think everyone should see this play if they can. It brings back memories from the movie as a kid!
wbboy29 says:
You are so right. This show is AMAZING!!! I was lucky enough to see it in New York and Seoul, South Korea. Even when completely performed in Korean (I don't speak a word of Korean) it was still incredible. :~)
Posted on: Dec 30, 2007
xiansational says:
seems like a very nice musical..
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007
rd1701 rd1701
Mar 28, 2007
This was an amazing performance that captured the essence of the animated film very well. It was quite remarkable how they managed to convert the film to the stage, and the cast were wonderful.

The seating was spacious and from the front of the Grand Circle I had a great view of the stage. Scar, Zazu, Pumbaa and Timon and of course Rafiki stood out the most from the ensemble.

If you loved the animated film, I'd highly recommend seeing the stage version. You won't be disappointed.
nonirose says:
fantastic!!!
i loved the theatre in london, and lion king really topped the list!!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2007