Lusikrates Monument

Lusikrates Monument Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Lusikrates . Jan 02, 2012
History :

Monument of Lysicrates, built in 334 BC in the form of a small circular temple. It was erected to commemorate the greater Dionysos series of plays and it is the last of many that used to line the Street of Tripods now called Tripodon Street.

The Lysicrates Monument owes its preservation to the French Capuchin monks who bought it in 1669 and incorporated it in their monastery.

The monument is 2,80 meters (9ft) in diameter and 6,50 meters (21,3ft) high. The cella is decorated with what seem to be six half-columns with Corinthian capitals standing on the round base of three steps. These are really whole pillars, joined by slabs serving as walls for the cella, crowned by friezes decorated with tripods in relief. It is made of stone from Poros Island and crowned with Hymettos(mountain) marble instead of Pentelic.

Helpful Links :

The official web site of Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Tourism .

What around : Theiseio , Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, Acropolis Museum , Plaka , Monastiraki .

How to go : Just 100 meters from Acropolis museum at the way for Plaka .

Or with Metro Acropolis station !

Opening hours and tickets : 24 hours , Free

Nice monument and close to the other sights ! You can go and make some shoots :)

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :) I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
Hello Armand :) Of course you pass but don't be observant :) I have the right address so you can go , it's couple of meter from the Acropolis museum to the way for plaka :)
Posted on: Jan 30, 2012
Caliber-A says:
my friend, i've never been there yet.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2012