Lusaka to Livingstone Bus

Lusaka, Zambia

Lusaka to Livingstone Bus Reviews

jhoc jhoc
Chose the right bus to travel between Livingstone and Lusaka Apr 24, 2008
The Lusaka bus station can look a bit chaotic, especially if you just got off a red eye and are about to take a 6-10 hours bus journey for your first day in Africa. The taxi drops you off outside and you walk in getting swarmed by touts in the uniform of their bus company. I took the bus to Livingstone, of which there are a few companies, but there are buses to several locales.

The touts will want to take your bags and send you to the ticket booth. This is probably fine, they aren't stealing your bags or anything, but you might want to have a plan before you get there. Buses tend to leave a few times each morning for Livingstone and I got the impression most locals just turn up and get on.

I recommend the blue bus called Mazhandu. It was the only blue coach service there. They took reservations by phone the day or so before and they are the nicest and newest buses in the lot. You won't have a toilet on any of the buses so plan ahead.

The bus ride takes 6-10 hours or more depending on breakdowns and road conditions. I'm told the blue ones are the most reliable, which when you get one the road you'll feel good about. Most of the drive is spent swerving off the road to avoid massive pot holes, so pick a sturdy looking bus.

You stop a couple of times at markets and cafe type areas which don't offer a whole lot, but a toilet and a cold drink. Before you board you can go to a cafe across the street which made us a good breakfast before the trek.

It’s a long day so be prepared! You can fly as well, but the bus will be 1/10th the cost and is a good experience. The scenery isn't great, mostly arid land in the middle of nothing.
arrived in Livingstone

Related Travel Blogs About Lusaka to Livingstone Bus

General info. prices,places & transports
So far I have my french friend Julien and my guitar that wants to come with, I would like to get 1 or two people more to have a nice travel group. The route is flexible and can be changed i…Livingstone RPS (Mutelo St) has two bus services a day to Lusaka (US$8, seven hours). CR Carriers (cnr Mosi…
How to travel, and how not to travel.
*A quick note, first, the location of the previous blog is incorrect, it seems there is more than one Chipata in Zambia, I will get around to changing it as soon as travbuddy stops crashing internet …Livingstone we caught the cheaper bus back to Lusaka.  Imagine a regular coach in all its cramped…
Goodbye Africa
I am sad to say that I am currently in the airport in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia which means that I am on my way home from Africa. Robin, Kate and I flew out of Lusaka, Zambia this afternoon where we wil…bus for about 10 hours from Livingstone, Zambia to Lusaka where we would fly out the next day.  Not only…

Check Lusaka Hotel Deals