Luís I Bridge, Porto

Porto, Portugal

Luís I Bridge, Porto Reviews

ana_pt ana_pt
A more than 120 year old Bridge design by Gustav Eiffel Jan 15, 2011
The top platform is used by the metro line, and also can be walked one side to the other geting a great view to the city. The down one its also posible to walk or drive one side to the other. This down one leads you to the Port Wine cellars, dozens of them, most by the river.
davidx davidx
Changed usage Mar 15, 1999
This bridge, often called the Dom Luis Bridge, was a marvel when it was built in 1886, then the longest of its type in the world. I am afraid that neither the photo on the website nor mine shows clearly that the bridge has two levels for traffic. When I was there we obtained a transport map from the TIC and found bus routes at each level. We crossed from Porto at top level and returned on the lower level. Now the upper level is used by a Metro line with a pedestrian walkway beside it.

The builder had been a partner of Eiffel on work at naother bridge across the Douro from Porto to Vila Nova de Gaia. The TIC of the latter city is close to the bridge and there are boats moored by it that were used in the port wine trade.

Related Travel Blogs About Luís I Bridge, Porto

My walk through Porto
The great thing about Porto is that the centre is so wonderfully compact that everything is within walking distance. You can have endless walks and you see so much. The town is very historic and hill…Porto takes place on the metal bridge named Ponte Dom Luís I . This bridge is not just…

Check Porto Hotel Deals