Luna's Castle Hostel

Check Panama City Hotel Deals

Luna's Castle Hostel Panama City Reviews

tanner777 tanner777
Laid-back backpacker spot May 17, 2011
Backpacker's delight. Luna's castle is an old creaky mansion near the water's edge. It was my first hostel experience and the staff was very helpful and friendly. There are some bad areas near the hostel but the staff lets you know where to stay away from. Beds are dorm style and I think I payed $13 bucks a night. They have great common room. Free wi-fi and computers. Overall, I had a great time and meet some great people.
chrystina930 chrystin…
Great Environment filled with travlers eager to tell their stories. Jun 21, 2011
I stayed here twice during my trip to Panama. The first time was for 3 nights when I first arrived to Panama, and at the end of my trip for 2 nights when I was leaving Panama. Both times there I really enjoyed my time there. The environment was relaxed and colorful!

The first time I was there I stayed in a dorm ($13 per night), and the second time I stayed there I stayed in a private room ($15 per night). Here's a quick rundown of what I thought....

- the bathroom for the private rooms were newly renovated & so clean and amazing for a hostel. ive stayed in many hostels and this is the best one yet! The bathrooms for the dorms were okay. They were clean but because so many people were using it it got dirty very quickly.

- FREE BREAKFAST! pancakes & bananas!!! downside: you have to cook the pancakes yourself.

- FREE INTERNET!! 5 computers available.

- They have a bar attached to the hostel, and its one of the best places in town. Happy hour is from 9-10 where drinks are 50 cents (US dollars). super cheap & the bartenders are so awesome. I actually ended up partying and hanging out with them throughout my time there.

- the people that work the front desk are incredibly helpful and friendly. I had nothing planned when I went to Panama City, and they helped me organize it all and decide what to do. They told me how much I should pay for taxis. How to get where. All my questions were answered.

- There's a security guard that stands watch at night at the entrance of the hostel, so I felt very safe while I was there.

- Con: There are no lockers for your bag in the dorms. However they do have tiny lockers in the main area where you can lock up your valuables.

- There's a nice balcony where you can sit and read. You get an amazing view of the skyline.

- They have a "party bus" that you can sign up for. It's quite an experience. It's only $15 and its all you can drink for a few hours on this bus!

- Lots of good food within walking distance.

- When I stayed in the private room, on Saturday night all I heard was the bass and music playing so loudly from the bar. I would suggest bringing ear plugs if you're trying to sleep or join the party downstairs...

- Free COLD water!!!!

- Movie theatre which shows free movies three times a day.

- Gets booked quickly so you need to make reservations.
LUNAS CASTLE HOSTEL
holding on for dear life on the pa…
the movie theatre.
private bunks
melsadventure melsadve…
May 29, 2010
A great location in Casco Viejo. The building is gorgeous and with a movie theatre, great bar and one o fthe best appointed guest kitchens i`ve seen in a while it makes the grade.

However, staff are awful! There is little or no information held at the hostel about anything. Ask about bus timetables and they look blank. Ask about how to go somewhere and they smile and talk to someone else. They are awful!

Also many of the rooms don`t have windows which makes them incredibly hot and stuffy. I was in dorm 7 and it had amazing ocean views and windows but the fan didn`t work so my bed was more like a bath in the morning than a bed!
sabzero sabzero
A really great hostel Sep 19, 2009
Luna's Castle was absolutely my most favorite Hostel during my trip!

Unfortunately we just stayed 1 night because we heard too late about this place! :(

Anyway, we arrived in the morning and the receptionist was really friendly and helpful.

The first thing she gave us was a city map where she marked the places we should avoid and the places where we could find the best food in town. :)

Luna's Castle is situated in the old city, called Casco Viejo (have a look at my blog), which is really a very nice and romantic district in Panama City.

We stayed in a Private room for $28, including free pancakes, bananas, coffee, tea & Internet access. The hostel offers dorms ($12) and private rooms for 2 or 3 people.

The great thing about this place is, that it has it's own little cinema, where you can enjoy every evening old or/and new movies.

(we saw 'Hangover' & 'Big Fish')

Luna's Castle has a Communal kitchen, where you can eat delicious pancakes + bananas as much as you like. :D

Underneath you'll find a bar with a nice outside terrace.

Attention: If you stay in a room near/above the bar or terrace it can be louder during night!!! (for me and my BF it wasn't a problem cause we liked the music!)
entrance
balcony, next to communal room
me @ balcony
Bluetraveler says:
Thanks for the review. I can stay here :))
Posted on: Dec 29, 2009