Lunar New Year Festival

Mills Ave., Orlando, FL, USA

Lunar New Year Festival Orlando Reviews

Cho Cho
2014 Dragon Parade/Year Of The Horse Feb 22, 2014
We joined in celebrating the Year of the Horse with the annual Dragon Parade in Orlando. This year it took place on Sunday, February 9th. Actually, it was a full week after the Lunar New Year, (commonly called Chinese New Year) I think, due to commercial interests.

The parade was scheduled to start at 11 am with the various contingents and dancers in colorful costumes walking along the length of Hillcrest Street near downtown Orlando. We arrived there early to get good vantage points to watch the parade and take photos.

As the most popular festival in Asian/Oriental culture, Lunar New Year is celebrated internationally in Asian countries, and also in Asian communities around the world. I was told that in Florida, the Dragon Parade is the only large-scale celebration for Lunar New Year, so I was not surprised to see a big crowd of people waiting on the sidewalks along Hillcrest St.

The parade started promptly at 11 am, and we had a good view of the marchers. Some of the festival sponsors rode on cars which went by at a snail's pace. And of course, the local politicians and business people also took advantage by showing themselves and promoting public relations and/or services.

The parade which lasted well over an hour was followed by a fair which took place at a big parking lot nearby on N. Mills Avenue. The fair featured some exciting cultural performances such as dragon and lion dances, martial arts, Japanese Taiko, acrobatic performances, cultural dances, and many booths containing delightful arts and crafts, exotic Asian food and mini-exhibitions.

There weren't any admission fees, and we were at the event for over two hours. I must say I'm glad I went as I had the chance to see and taste a little bit of Asia in the US of A!
Flyer for the festival
On the way to the festival (downto…
Two motorcycle cops on standby bef…
Another motorcycle cop on duty
Cho says:
Thank you, Hasan for your kind compliments.
Posted on: Feb 24, 2014
cimtech says:
Cho - nice review and beautiful pictures, well done !!
Posted on: Feb 23, 2014
Cho says:
You're welcome, Ian and thank you too for the compliment!
Posted on: Feb 23, 2014