Luna International Hostel

8405 8919

Luna International Hostel Esteli Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Luna International Hostel Nov 06, 2016
I usually pass by Esteli on my way to Honduras or Guatemala. Somehow that border is excellent for me and I really like the nature around this area. Luna International Hostel is very well positioned hostel in Estelí. It is actually an institution that helps the community, and they also have a restaurant/bar across the street. That was a bit weird for me, to go across the street for the breakfast… and you get served something, (coffee that they have is actually great, but I would not expect anything else from the coffee region) but it is honestly not worth considering because there are way better things to eat around the town, and prices are incredibly low. For example I went few times for the lunch that had incredible chicken shnicle with jalapeño sauce and lots of good stuff aside for only $4. Breakfast with coffee and good pastry runs for 2-3$ the most. So the main reason why I did not wanna eat hostel breakfast was the service in the restaurant.

Aside of the restaurant, they also have a travel agency across the other street. Travel agency has some interesting tours, but all of it is overpriced and honestly not my thing in any way. They took over almost the whole intersection, only one corner is missing.

Staff in the hostel is alright, but they know only few words of English (which is also fine, but not international :)). Building has a small yard in the middle, kind of traditional way of building in this area. Ladies are washing stuff and putting it around the yard. It is definitely not meant to be used by people that are staying in the hostel. They definitely need a bit more bathrooms and they need to upgrade them a bit. I stayed at the dorm that was cramped with variety of single beds. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about bed bugs, but luckily nothing went that way. The whole place needs someone to manage it properly. It is a social and community project, but they charge more than another (and very good hostel) hostel in town and they offer much less in return. The doors are not closing good so you will be hearing anyone that talks in the yard and due to building being on the street corner, you’ll get lot of noise especially from the chicken buses. You can catch colectivo which are cheap and will take you to any place around the town. Intercity buses can be found on the highway. Just lift your arm and they will generally pick you up.

There is alright WiFI (sometimes) and that is about it as far as amenities.

The only good thing about this hostel is that main square is only a block away. I heard that there was some renovation recently, so maybe there are some other things done to this place, but I would suggest other hostel in town (Sonati Hostal).
Esteli Map