Ludlow Castle

Ludlow, England

Ludlow Castle Reviews

b33tlejuice b33tleju…
Nice little castle Apr 22, 2014
This is a lovely little castle in Ludlow. We parked about a ten minute walk away from the entrance for free (up to four hours). This gave us enough time to look at all areas of the castle and a short walk around the town shopping area. The weather was perfect, bright sunshine and warm. I wouldn't recommend it on a wet day as there are many uneven, tight spiral staircases all of which are made slightly awkward by not having room to pass by other people going the opposite direction. The views from the top are fantastic, however it is a little unnerving when there are alot of people about and as it is narrow with huge drops either side, put on a brave face and smile! I saw some dogs in the castle so I am assuming these are allowed around the grounds too. There are only three toilets at the castle in the shop at the beginning entrance. There is one female, male and disable toilet. Luckily when I needed them, they were not busy. There is a cafe there but I did not go into it.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes castles, not recommended for wheelchair users as obviously being a castle it does not have lifts to allow for access.
joseph98 joseph98
Pleasingly atmospheric castle in beautiful surroundings Oct 04, 2013
There are more spectacular castles in the UK, for sure, but Ludlow's castle is worth a visit for a few reasons.

Firstly, the ruins have survived well, and it is very possible to access most of them, including the tall towers of the North range. The Round Chapel, standing alone in the middle of the castle grounds, is a standout structure, as is the Keep on the opposite side of the castle. Informative signs dot the grounds, helping to give the visitor much needed context.

Secondly, the accessible towers provide spectacular views of the surrounding areas. Ludlow is in the Shropshire Hills, a designated area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and when you see the views from the highest point of the castle it's easy to see why.

Finally, there's the nearby town of Ludlow itself. The open air market is on the castle doorstep, and Ludlow has acquired a reputation for being a "gastronomic paradise". As someone who sampled a Ludlow pie, washed down with a pint of the local ale, I can testify to that!
The North Range
Round Chapel
Bridge over River Teme
X_Drive says:
I'll look forward to see that one, and any others you find!! :D
Posted on: Oct 05, 2013
joseph98 says:
If you like this castle, wait till you see my pictures of Conwy Castle (which I'll try and put up in the next few days). North Wales has the best UK castles, IMO.
Posted on: Oct 05, 2013
X_Drive says:
I have a thing about castles, so I'm always ready to read, visit, or at least look at pictures. :D
Posted on: Oct 04, 2013