Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant & Lounge

6800 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX, USA

Lucy Ethiopian Restaurant & Lounge Houston Reviews

viajo viajo
Upscale Ethiopian restuarant and lounge Aug 04, 2013
I have to say that Lucy is now in my list of top ten date restaurants in Houston. First of all, you're eating Ethiopian. It's exotic and adventurous to many. You use your right hand to eat. No utensils. That's already adventurous and unique. Second, you have a an elegant interior with nice African decor and dim lighting, in contrast to the stark location and exterior. Third, going there on a Friday night, there was a DJ spinning a variety of mixes, some sounding African and not shazam'able and some Michael Jackson, but everything with a good beat and chill. The music was loud but not so loud that you had to shout to talk, even with me and my date seated at a table in the front dining area next to what became the dance floor. This is a place where you can go for a late dinner on a weekend night and then see if the crowd and vibe invites you to stay or if you want to just have some drinks during dinner and then head elsewhere after.

As far as the food, it is solid. We ordered the Yedoro Watt and a six item vegetarian combo. The Yedoro came with a drumstick and a hardboiled egg. Which to eat first - the chicken or the egg? Both were OK, but the berbere sauce it came in was spicy and delicious. It was too hot for my date, but perfect for me, so be careful with the berbere if you don't like spicy. Our vegetarian combo came with cabbage, green beans and carrots, collard greens, lentils, split peas, and chickpeas. We both loved the cabbage, green beans, and greens. The rest of the items were good. In addition to the injera that carpeted the food, there were two rolls of injera included on each plate. So while the Yedoro was just a drumstick and an egg, the veggie combo was huge and the injera does fill you up, so it turned out to be too much food for us to finish. I did the doggy bag thing but discovered that leftover Ethiopian is not like day old pizza - it doesn't get better. But doesn't it just feel wrong wasting food at an Ethiopian restaurant?

Note that the menu can take a little while to decipher if you are going to go with a meat combination because there may be six items that are all Ethiopian names. You can look for the names and descriptions of each of the six elsewhere on the menu, ask your server, or google it on your smartphone. If you want to save yourself some time while ordering and look like you know what you're doing, then just take a few minutes to look up the menu on the website before you go.

Our service was decent. They were a tad slow refilling our water, but everyone was extremely polite and helpful with the menu. A couple of different people asked us how the food was, which is good to know they really care.

With any cuisine that is relatively new to a city's culinary landscape, it is always great to see restaurant selection expand. You then get to choose between a hole in the wall, a casual place, a family establishment, and an upscale restaurant. Lucy does an admirable job filling the need for upscale Ethiopian. Don't be scared away by the neighborhood. What's awesome is that I was going to decide between Hillcroft Indian and Bellaire Chinese and decided to go with SW Freeway Ethiopian. I love Houston.

Check Houston Hotel Deals