Lucky Stables

Saint Maarten, Anguilla

Lucky Stables Saint Maarten Reviews

mswim mswim
Sep 29, 2006
If you happen to find yourself in the beautiful St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles might I suggest you take a break from shopping the local markets and basking in the Caribbean sun and venture to Lucky Stables. Lucky Stables offers a variety of different trailrides for your pleasure. The 1-hour ride winds you around the trails and leads you to the Caribbean Sea where you and your horse get to take a dip together. There is also a 2-hour ride, which leads you up a series of hills to a lookout overlooking Cape Bay and then takes you to Cole Bay beach where you get to swim with your horse as well.

Two other special tours are the Sunset ride which is the same as the 1-hour ride just at nightfall and then there’s also the Champagne Night Ride which is a romantic ride throughout the trails. You are then taken to a campfire where you toast champagne while roasting marshmallows. How cool is that?

Lucky Stables is located on Traybay Sreet which is quite busy with delivery trucks, not the location I thought it would be in. When we entered the stables there was a counter where we could check our backpacks in. I brought along just my water camera and that was all I needed. I would have brought along a regular camera but I didn’t want to get it damaged when the horse and I went swimming. I’ll explain the swimming in a bit.

After we mounted our horses, a guide led us down Traybay Street to a trail at the end of the road. We followed the trail as it winded up and down the hillside. The trail, like I previously mentioned, leads to a bay. This is the very same bay where Speed 2 with Sandra Bullock was filmed, which I thought was pretty cool. We stayed saddled up as we led our horses into the sea. The horses loved it! They paced back and forth between the gentle waves. We went deeper than I thought we would in the water. I knew we’d get wet but we were thigh deep in the water…and that’s sitting on a horse. Many of the horses pooped upon entering the water and the poop kept racing towards us with the waves. It was rather gross but funny at the same time.

The horses were great. My horse was named Sancho. He was very peaceful but he was also as stubborn as a mule. All he wanted to do while we were on the trails was eat eat eat. Our guide didn’t appreciate this and was very stern and ugly towards our group. I wasn’t the only one who had a stubborn horse. The guide actually ended up cussing out my friend telling her she needed to go back to school to learn how to ride. She laughed at him and told him we don’t learn how to ride horses at our schools in the US. So the guide wasn’t the most friendly person, but he didn’t ruin it for us. We just laughed it off.

Cape Bay is one of the few spots in the Dutch St. Maarten that has not been developed and on top of that is only accessible by horseback which makes it quite the exclusive venture. It’s a great opportunity and if you have the chance to take advantage of it, I say go for it!
Justin and I
Me and Sancho
kamja says:
I love horses.. I used to ride but it's ancient history now. But they are so beautiful
Posted on: Sep 22, 2007

Compare Saint Martin Hotel Rates (12.8km away)

Saint Maarten Map