Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano

Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - #7 Carnitas Tacos
Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - Welcome to Lucio's
Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - Interior of Lucio's
Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - Small cup of Albondigas
Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - Tried to open the taco to show how much meat was inside but sorta made a mess! LOL
Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano - Combo #1 - beef taco and cheese enchilada

Lucio's Restaurante Mexicano Torrance Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Authentic Mexican Food Since 1977! Aug 08, 2008
Not sure how I ended up coming here the first time but I can remember eating here as long as I remember being alive! LOL. Considering they opened when I was 4 years old - not too bad! :-)

Lucio opened this hole in the wall restaurant in the 70's and the local community has supported him since. It's a widely popular spot especially during lunch for employees of Toyota and Honda since both headquarters are right up the street!

Used to be you'd see Lucio in everyday and he always did the cooking for large or catered orders himself. And you want something not on the menu, ask and you shall receive! He once did a special Chicken Mole that wasn't on the menu for a work function I had. He even went so far as to invite me in a couple days beforehand to try it and make sure it would be ok!

Moving to Vegas was hard because we'd come here at least one to two times a week before I left. I have never found salsa I like near as much as his - it's a red salsa with onions and cilantro with a bit of a kick to it. You can buy it by the container which I've often done over the years (and perhaps might this time before heading back home).

His menu has always been fairly simple, focusing on traditional dishes and always of the highest quality. After being gone for a few years, I've discovered his menu has increased and he's now doing breakfast too and he opens at 10am everyday! Good thing I didn't know that when I first got into town otherwise I would've been stopping in on the way to visit Mom at the hospital everyday! LOL.

I decided to take Dad here one night on the way home from visiting Mom since we hadn't eaten there together in quite some time. I was surprised to see the two page menu is like 6 pages now! LOL. Tired of always being a creature of habit, I decided to try something new this time. I am becoming quite the fan of carnitas but they can't be too greasy or I just don't like them. Sal's in Sacramento has been one of the few places where I now order Carnitas everytime. With that being said, I had to try Lucio's and see how they compared.

I ordered his combo #7 ($8.50) - Two carnitas tacos with rice and beans and my favorite - Albondigas soup to start. No where (other than my adopted Mom's cooking) have I found Albondigas this good. I used to come get a large one when I had a cold or the flu and it was better than any chicken noodle! Albondigas is a meatball soup with vegetables and even the small cup, you get several meatballs and decent sized hunks of fresh vegetables. Glad to see the soup has not changed a bit and the carnitas tacos were heavenly! The pork was so soft and not the least bit of grease. The tacos were HUGE though and although I hadn't eaten all day, I was barely able to finish them!

Besides the new breakfast items on the menu, he's added a few new things like Pozole on a regular basis. He even has a red and a green version! I know I will by stopping by for some of those before I head home! He has several salads and a meal option for green salad, Albondigas, and tortillas which would be great for a quick lunch! And birria and menudo are regular menu items as well.

Lucio has worked hard over the years to create a great neighborhood atmosphere and provide quality food at reasonable prices. We asked if he is still in everyday and the waitress said he's pretty much scarce around there now which is good - means he might finally be semi retiring! You couldn't go in any day of the week and not find him there!

Lucio's does serve alcohol but does not have a full liquor license. He has beer and wine and then wine margaritas only. And if you are looking for fancy Mexican - this is not it. This is truly a hole in the wall place with the same decor I can remember. It's in the old part of Torrance which has street parking only. Some people may say things should be updated but all the regulars are happy with the way it is and it gives you the feel of being in a small town in Mexico.

It's so great to be gone for several years and come back home to my favorite hole in the wall place and see that nothing has changed and the food is just as awesome as the day I left! :-)
Welcome to Lucio's