Lowry Park Zoo

(813) 935-8552 ext. 355

Lowry Park Zoo Tampa Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Lowry park Zoo May 21, 2016
We arrived at the zoo, looking for a parking space. Which is always a bit of a hassle but we found one after driving a few rounds. After that we got our tickets and entered the zoo.

The Lowry Park Zoo is not that old, it was opened in 1957 with a small collection of exotic animals. Becoming bigger and adding some attractions like a rollercoaster to the park. However by the 1980's it was one of the worst zoo's of the country. A lot of fund razing made it possible to fund a revamp off the zoo and build it up to what it is today (voted the best of the country in 2009).

The zoo is divided in a couple different sections called:

Asian Gardens; with the Indian Rhinoceros, Malayan tigers and the komodo dragon. The Florida Wildlife Center includes many North American species like Orinco crocodiles, red wolves and the Indian manatees. A discovery center shows the amphibian residents of the zoo. Primate world is situated in the middle of the zoo. You can find great chimpanzees, Bornean orangutans, golden lion tamarins and many more. Wallaroo Station includes a lot of Australian native species including koalas and wallabies. Safari Africa where you can find; elephants, zebras, giraffes, white rhinoceros and meerkats. Main Avery is overgrown with bush and plants. You can find free-flight birds here as well as two-toes sloths.

Spirits of the Sky Raptor Show. This show is held twice a day and shows a variety of wild birds. All of the birds ar rescued from any form of incident and are not capable of being returned to the wild, they would not survive because of handicaps they had gotten from the accidents. I found it a wonderful idea that they get a live, even if it is in a zoo and for us to see them and experience animals like that up close and personal.

Besides all this the zoo had 95 species survival plans to help endangered species like orangutans, chimpanzees and Indian rhinoceros.

My personal favorites are the monkey section and the Africa section. The Africa section also has a interactive feature. You can feed a giraffe. I always feel a bit torn when things like this are provided. Who is it benefiting? Me or the animal? However I also have a daughter who is obsessed with giraffe's so we got in line, payed the $5.- and fed a giraffe. She still (it being august by now) talks about it. So I guess it made an lasting impression on her.

It is possible to grab a bite here and there. Don't expect to much off it though. I suggest bringing your own sandwiches ;).

While we were there the kids got a small passport so they could collect stamps at different parts of the zoo. We didn't get all of the stamps though our daughter liked her little book and showed us the stamps with a big smile on her face. For the older kids, they got a stamp as well as some information about the endangered species kept at the zoo. (did you know the okapi is family member of the giraffe rather then the zebra?) I don't know if this is a regular thing or just something they did for a couple of weeks but it was a nice way to keep the kids active.

Children age 3 and under are free

3 - 18 $22.95

Everyone else $29.95

You can get a $2.- discount if you order tickets online.

Overall I liked the zoo though I would not have came if we weren't traveling with a toddler. She however had a lovely time which makes it the best decision for us :).
Zoo entrance
Suusj says:
It really is a very mixed feeling right...I
Posted on: Aug 09, 2016
vances says:
I share the same questions whether zoos are good or bad...
Posted on: Aug 08, 2016

Related Travel Blogs About Lowry Park Zoo

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
What a great day at the zoo.  Mike and me got there around 1:00pm. The weather was perfect!! We visited the Asian Gardens first. With it's Malayan Tapir, Clouded Leopard, Bearded Pigs, Sloth, an… What a great day at the zoo.  Mike and me got there around 1:00pm. The weather was perfect…

Check Tampa Hotel Deals