Loveland Pass

Highway 6
N/A - N/A
Loveland Pass - The View I hiked for!
Loveland Pass - sign across from the parking lot.
Loveland Pass - sign across from the parking lot.
Loveland Pass - trail
Loveland Pass - valley with I-70 at the bottom cutting through the forest

Loveland Pass Reviews

esterrene esterrene
Stop for a view and short hike Oct 13, 2015
The Loveland Pass is the highest mountain pass in the world that is open year round. It was once the only pass through the mountains before "The Tunnel" was built and allowing travelers a more direct passage east and west.

The exit - is you are heading east - is about 190.. if you are heading west, it is around 217. You will see a sign for "Highway 6, Loveland Pass". You can take the exit at either end and take the road all the way back to I-70 passed the tunnel.

The road is steep and there are many twists and turns. I wouldn't recommend taking this route during crappy weather, especially if you are not use to driving in mountains during bad weather.

There are a few places to park and enjoy the view, but the place you really want to get to is at the summit. You will see a large sign "loveland pass, Elevation 11,990 ft" and a small parking lot. There are a few trails you can take on either side of the highway. I chose the trail opposite of the parking lot because I wanted a western view of the mountainscape.

The trail could be describes as "moderate to easy". There was a steep incline in the beginning, but not too bad, especially if you take it slow. after a bit the trail evens out and the incline is less steep. The trail can be rocky, again, just take it slow and enjoy the views!

The road itself is a 30 min detour from the interstate. if you hike, the detour is obviously longer. My detour was just over 2.5 hours. That includes the drive, the hike and over an hour sitting on a rock enjoying the view I hiked for!
sign across from the parking lot.
valley with I-70 at the bottom cut…
The View I hiked for!