Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

13 Gl Strandvej, Humlebaek, Denmark
49 19 07 19

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art Humlebaek Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Another one to stir the never-ending 'is modern art worth the trek' debate! Jul 10, 2016
OK, let's be very honest here - whenever the subject of art comes up, the elephant in the room seems to be modern art - either you love it, or you hate it. I thought I'd say I'm on the fence, but looking at my track record, I'm apparently a pro-modern art fan. Which would explain why I consider Tate Modern and Centre Pompidou as 2 of my all time favourites. So it was only natural that I'd visit the Danish version, located about 45 minutes outside the main Copenhagen area.

The museum couldn't be more excellently located. It's nestled in a leafy suburb, about half a mile away from the bus stop and there's a trail of tourists that lead you to the museum. Outside, the usual splash of day trippers, cars and fancy tourist coaches.

The entrance is quite confusing (there are 2 queues - one for those with an annual membership and one for those paying on the spot. Folks who had the Copenhagen Card were quite confused).

The museum is broken into several sections including one for modern art, a permanent Wessel-Bagge collection, a sculpture garden, concert hall and a beautiful garden that overlooks Sweden. The museum feels really spacious, has a lot of windows from floor to ceiling and in general, very atmospheric and relaxing and peaceful despite the constant flow of visitors.

But the real problem is the quality and quantity of the artwork themselves - I felt it was very sparse. Almost like visiting a fancy designer store with a handful of clothes on display. Whilst it's not fair comparing this to a Tate, I left wanting more - I don't know if what I saw justified the schlep from the city. That said, just the sheer location and size of the museum make this for a great day out when visiting Copenhagen.

Overall verdict is - visit it. Just enjoy the experience and don't be focused on the art pieces themselves.
At the sculpture park
Forgot this gentleman's name but I…
So this was my first modern experi…
Entrance to the museum
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2016
hightide says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2016
simsing says:
Congrats on your feature, Vikram!
Posted on: Aug 12, 2016

Compare Snekkersten Hotel Rates (4.8km away)

Humlebaek Map