Lou Mitchell's

565 W. Jackson, Chicago, IL, USA

Lou Mitchell's Chicago Reviews

anupa_rk anupa_rk
Great Breakfasts in the heart of downtown Chicago Aug 10, 2010
Right across the street from the Union Metra Station at downtown Chicago, is a quaint little breakfast joint called Lou Mitchell's.

It started off by being famous for its location - the begining of Route 66, but today it is more than just a famous location. It is an iconic joint that serves great breakfasts and makes you feel completely at home.

The experience starts off with a warm welcome of donut holes and milk duds. We then move on to some tea or coffee followed by the breakfast itself. From the fluffy omlettes to the delectable french toasts and pancakes, everything on the menu is mouth watering.

And my favorite? - the hot chocolate. Absolutely sinful!

So the next time you're in Chicago (or even in the suburbs of Chicagoland), be sure to head over to 565 W Jackson Blvd and check out what the fuss is all about!

(Note: They only accept cash. So be sure to have some on you before you get carried away with the order! I speak from experience, you see!!)
mahoney mahoney
Start your day off right Apr 18, 2006
Located at the beginning of Route 66 at 565 W. Jackson Boulevard, Lou Mitchell’s is THE place to eat breakfast while in Chicago. I discovered this place during one of my many train trips into Chicago from Ohio. Arriving early one morning, I asked a Red Cap where I could get a quick breakfast. Quick? he said, no, but great yes! Gave me the directions, which was just around the block from Union Station and off I went.

You are treated like one of the family here. The food is the best I have ever eaten for breakfast, anywhere.

Besides being famous, it is a food lover's heaven and easy on the wallet. I stop in every time I am in Chicago and never disappointed, even if I have to stand in line for a few minutes to have a seat.

The Milk Duds Story

Why do ladies and children receive Milk Duds when they enter the restaurant? Greeks are known for their warm abundant hospitality; upon entering their home you are offered something sweet as a welcome greeting. “Milk Duds” were originally manufactured in Chicago and the owner of the company was both a customer and dear friend of Uncle Lou’s, thus the choice of the sweets. However, his sisters Polly and Demi and nephew Nick Noble who all worked in the business were convinced Uncle Lou had an eye for the women and adored children. The tradition carries on to this day.

Related Travel Blogs About Lou Mitchell's

Chicago Layover
Arrived in Chicago on the Capitol Limited from Toledo, Ohio. The train was about 47 minutes late, which is lucky because the Lakeshore Limited, which follows an hour later, was 4 hours and 18 minutes…Chicago, I had breakfast at Lou Mitchell's, one of my favorite restaurants. I will post a review later on. After…

Check Chicago Hotel Deals