Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens

www.lazoo.org - (323) 644-4200

Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Review for the zoo part only! Sep 11, 2016
The Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens is located in Griffith Park, near the Autry Museum of the American West. While it is much easier to get there by car, it is still doable to get there by public transportation. You would have to catch Bus #96 somewhere in downtown.

As the name would indicate, it is both a zoo and botanical gardens. I did not get to see the gardens, as I was more focused on seeing the animals. So this review will be about the zoo part. Oh boy, where do I begin?

Let’s start with the positives… a huge collection of animals, as there is a huge assortment of them from different parts of the world. Especially in the LAIR building, with its indoor and outdoor collection of reptiles and amphibians. Also, the walkthrough of the Rainforest of the Americas, where it is enjoyable to see the giant river otters to go down the water slide. Plus a nice aviary to walk through as well, along with the Campo Gorilla Reserve.

The zoo is shaded, and does look very nice, making it look more appealing. And feel less like you are in a major city. Also, some of the Asian architecture around the elephant yard is really nice, with the yard being divided into 2 parts. At the moment, some nice displays of elephant statues.

Now, the negatives, with the biggest one being the layout of the zoo. It looks like a collection of smaller mini-zoos, combined into one big one, making it difficult to get around. And resulting in a lot of backtracking, and figuring out which way to go, to be more efficient. Also, those roundhouses of enclosures, that add to the confusion of the layout. There seems to be so many, and if you are like me, you try to make sure not one is missed. Not to mention, those enclosures do look unappealing. And it is very hilly, going up and down quite a bit.

Also, there does not seem to be any place to take refuge from the sun and relax indoors. Just tables with umbrellas, which don’t work for me at all. Luckily, there is a lot of shade that may offset this. But still, the option should be there.

Overall, I find this zoo to be a mixed bag, as there are some things that I really liked it. And some things that just either I did not like, or just plain annoyed me, big time! With all that said, I would definitely visit this zoo again, as I still find it to be enjoyable.

I would give this zoo 3 stars out of 5.
entrance
International Marketplace
greater flamingos
white-faced whistling ducks
WalterC says:
Yeah, I have read that improvements have been made recently, but I still think that they have a long way to go.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2016
Cho says:
I was at this zoo way back in 2011. I'm thinking that you were there not too long ago. It looks like they've made some improvements since my visit there.
Posted on: Dec 11, 2016
TRE69 TRE69
It's a Jungle In Here! Nov 17, 2007
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is located within Griffith Park, a 4200 acre park in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles. The zoo may be one the most affordable attractions in Los Angeles...adults (13 & up) are $10, seniors are $7, children (2-12) are $5, and children under 2 are FREE. Zoo parking is FREE to boot!

The zoo grounds are decorated with lush floral specimens. The animal habitats are constantly being renovated to look more and more realistic to the animal's natural habitats. For instance, in 2000, Red Ape Rain Forest was opened to highlight the orangutan. In 2007, the Campo Gorilla Reserve was unveiled to house 6 western lowland gorillas. Currently being renovated is the Asian Elephant habitat. The zoo is also an integral part of the California Condor Recovery Program with over 100 condor hatchings at the zoo.

The zoo is huge...be sure to wear comfy shoes. The the pathways within the zoo are paved but some do go up inclines and and down declines. It is not out of the ordinary seeing people doing their daily workout either by walking or jogging. It is also common to see aspiring artists perfecting their craft by sketching or photographing the animals. The Los Angeles Zoo is home to 1200 animals. I have been to the zoo several times and I have not seen all of them.

So escape the concrete jungle and venture into the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals