Los Angeles City Hall

213-978-1995

Los Angeles City Hall Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
The iconic symbol of Los Angeles Oct 21, 2010
New York may have the Empire State Building. Paris may have the Eiffel Tower. But L.A. has its City Hall.

Completed in 1928, City Hall was the tallest building in downtown Los Angeles for 36 years. (Owing to strict earthquake building codes.) At 32 floors and 454 feet (138 m) it may seem modest by modern skyscraper standards. But, more than any other single building, it is the symbol of Los Angeles. (You've seen it in numerous films and TV shows on the badges of Los Angeles police officers.)

City Hall was designed in an interesting fusion of Art Deco and Classical styles. The design of the top floors is said to be based on the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus.

Visitors to L.A. do not often realize that there is a public observation deck on the 27th floor. It is not promoted the way observation decks and towers in many cities are. And it's free. But it is only open during weekday business hours. Check in at the main entrance desk. You'll have a panoramic view of downtown Los Angeles and its buildings and you can see the vast high-density, but low-rise, city surrounding it. On a clear day, you can see the mountains, too!

Free tours of City Hall are also offered. Call ahead for information on times.
Los Angeles City Hall
nightsky says:
Interesting article. I didn't know about the observation deck when I visited LA 10 years ago, but we went up the bar of Westin Bonaventure Hotel. It is strange it is not more wellknown that it is possible to go up these buildings for free.
Posted on: Feb 09, 2011
rotorhead85 says:
Nice to know - thanks!
Posted on: Feb 08, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Los Angeles City Hall

0581 The Friendly Folk of South L.A. (USA 100—revisit)
Before I continue with my story, I’m going to rewind about 10 years….   I spent a rather lonely, but important 6 months of my life in Los Angeles back in 1999.  After 6 months of conf…Los AngelesCity Hall--   a skyscraper with a Southwestern air to it…   I find myself enthralled…
The Metropolis of Eagle Rock
I grew up and went to school in the community of Eagle Rock, a residential neighborhood of Los Angeles. I haven't lived there in years, but I consider it to be my hometown. Eagle Rock takes its name…City Hall and the Carnegie Library were built in the Mission Revival style. They have been preserved as the Los Angeles

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals