Los Amigos Hostel

26 Calle Arenal, Madrid, Spain
915 59 24 72
Los Amigos Hostel - View of Calle Arenal (headed towards Sol) from the hostel balcony
Los Amigos Hostel - The cheerful common area
Los Amigos Hostel - The common room again
Los Amigos Hostel - The place marker as you alight from the Opera Metro station
Los Amigos Hostel - I liked this - recipes on the wall
Los Amigos Hostel - Another shot of the kitchen. The fridge on the left doesn't work, LOL!
Los Amigos Hostel - The kitchen

Check Madrid Hotel Deals

Los Amigos Hostel Madrid Reviews

Vikram Vikram
In the heart of Madrid by the Opera comes a hostel that's heaven in a busy tourist strip... Oct 20, 2012
Say what you want, but you cannot deny that the Los Amigos backpackers hostel defines the term "backpacking" and "budget travelling" with security. This unassuming hostel (yes, I say unassuming) is 'somewhere' between the Opera and Sol stops (yes, you heard me... as central as it can get) but you need to keep a lookout in the air - it's on the 4th floor of this big arse buidling and just a solitary yellow sunshine sign hangs from atop reminding you where it is. No markers, nothing. But who needs 'em if you're paying attention!

You get up a crappy ol lift to the top, ring the bell and the receptionist lets you in. You're provided THREE keys on checkin! One for the main building, one for the hostel main entrance and one for your room.

Most rooms are ensuite (yes!), have lockers (although bring your own locks) and have good ventilation looking into the inner quadrangle. The beds were not the most comfy but I'll let that pass.

The kitchen has weird rules - it opens only at 8a, so if you're thinking of catching an early flight or train out of Madrid, go hungry OR keep a bar in your room. Not only that, there's no non-fridge storage area, so I had to store my noodles and stuff in my room (in my locker, LOL!). But they have free b'fast (which is really sugary and junky) with some great toast. They also have a drink vending machine that offers coffee and... you guessed it - hot chocolate!

The staff are very pleasant. I think they made up for the rather stoic hostelmates I had, each one was a bigger Chatty Cathy than the other. I recall many a night dinner would end at 9p but I'd chat with the owner till 1030pm.

Amazing wireless internet! Which means I could stream NFL games as well.

Overall staying in this hostel was the BEST decision I made. I normally stay at YHA/HI Hostel affliates but I made the exception this time, what a right choice that was!

to be cont'd
The cheerful common area
View of Calle Arenal (headed towar…
The place marker as you alight fro…
The common room again
WalterC says:
If I ever get around to visiting Madrid, I have to remember to look up this hostel.
Posted on: May 01, 2014
bohemiaworld says:
Nice review :)
Posted on: Mar 26, 2013
sarahsan says:
Nice review! Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Dec 23, 2012