London Philharmonic Orchestra (QEH)

90 York Way, London, United Kingdom
www.lpo.co.uk - 020 7239 9340

London Philharmonic Orchestra (QEH) Reviews

Kalium_zer0 Kalium_z…
Sep 05, 2007
Attending an event hosted by the London Philharmonic Orchestra was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I paid a mere four pounds for front-row tickets (of course, I was lucky enough to get a student discount).

I went to a Valentine's Day Special Event which was preceded by a free public performace of an ensemble of eight double-basses. To get eight of these in one room is quite a feat in itself, but the pieces performed were wonderful as well. Among the various pieces played, classical Romantic music and some jazz-like improvisations were performed. The highlight of course was an arrangment of Tchaikovsky's Overture 1812. There is something about the arrogance of the double-bass which makes it a uniquely beautiful instrument.

The concert was specially suited for lovebirds: all of the selected pieces were evocative of love and romantic feelings (including, among others, arias by Verdi); too bad I had no girl to accompany me :(

And the aftermath was quite exceptional too! One free beer was provided to all of those who stayed at the end. The staff was kind enough to let us take pictures with the director and the tenor. Overall, the experience is worthwhile: (1) tickets are very affordable, (2) the orchestra is top-class, (3) the location of its host building is very central.

PS: When I went, earlier in 2007, Queen Elizabeth Hall was used for most of the LPO's events. The Royal Festival Hall has been re-opened; this is the place where they perform normally.

PPS: The pictures posted here were taken by a friend who accompanied me to the event.

Check London Hotel Deals