Loch Coruisk

Elgol, Scotland

Loch Coruisk Elgol Reviews

davidx davidx
MUST-see on Skye Sep 04, 2010
Whether it's really free depends on how you get there. I'll go into that later. First let me just rave a little about this wonderful place. Pam and I went there first the year after our wedding. There was a boat from Glen Brittle then, where we were camping. We had never seen anything like it with dolphins and a shark basking between Skye and the small island of Soay and the Cuillin dipping their feet in the water. Then we reached a good inlet at Loch Scavaig, a sea loch. We imagined that we had reached Coruisk. But no; Coruisk is a true (i.e. not sea) loch reached by a short scramble from Loch Scavaig. It is completely engulfed by a semi-circle of Cuillin peaks.

Since then I have been by boat several times from Elgol. Ronald MacDonald's boat at Glenbrittle had been wrecked in a storm by then. Then Pam and I once walked along a track clearly shown on maps from Sligachan with the tops of the Cuillin on our right until we could look down on Coruisk, just as much a gem when seen from above.

This path is one of the three ways for ordinary mortals, as opposed to climbers, to reach Coruisk. The second, which is of course not free, is by boat from Elgol. This has the bonus of a splendid journey by car or bus past Blaven and Torrin. The third way approaches the world of the super-humans and I have never attempted it. It is to walk from Elgol via Camasunary (Ive been that far and there is a delightful beach with seals around.) The problem is a 'bad step' well but immediately above the sea, that demands a very clear head for heights.

What I recommend, if you can wangle the transport, is the walk one way and the boat the other - but mo way do you want to walk between Elgol and Sligachan at the end.
Loch Coruisk Map