Locals View of Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada

Locals View of Las Vegas Reviews

VegasBrittney VegasBri…
Sep 20, 2006
I thought I'd write something up from the locals sideof Vegas. Many ofus that live here have a tendency to avoid the strip at all costs knowing full well it will be packed with tourists (althoug it's a love/hate relationship since thanks to the thourist we pay no state taxes). On any given night you will find most Las Vegans hanging at some local bar just as in any other place anywhere in the world. To really experience the underbell and I do mean UNDER check out the Double Down they usually have a good punk band playing, their walls are covered in crazy murals and disturbing videos play non-stop. Be sure to try the famous "Ass juice" shot but please be warned the bathrooms are frightening (it's really is a dive bar). First Friday's are Las Vegas' attempt at some sort of true categorical attempt at culture and it is really starting to take off. As the name states on the First Fridayof every month a few streets in "old" downtwon Las Vegas are closed to cars and open to foot traffic. This is the art district and it becomes a huge block party. The concept is still fairly new (since it was only started in 2002) but it is really beginning to take root. All the galleries in the area open their doors and allow everyone in to gaze at the magnificent work of local artisans, many of whom are present. On the street three are ice sculptors, fire brethers and fortune tellers who serve as a back-drop for this ongoing festival. Different kinds of crafts, drinks, and food are available for purchase and I highly recommend heading down if you're in town. Red Rock/Spring Mountain Ranch - This is another great local secret. Many people have heard of Red Rock Canyon and its beautiful "Red Rock Loop" which is a great little trip if you are looking to take in a quick bit of desert scenery with some amazing, well red rocks. It is about 16 miles west of the strip and the loop is about 13 miles long, it offers a wide variet of hiking trails as well as rock climbing or simply drive it. For me I'd take the time to rent horses and end the day with a play at the Spring Mountain Ranch (located 2.5 miles past the loop). The playhouse is open from June through August and while it is still hot they run the plays at dusk so its a bit cooler. Pack some dinner and a blanket and enjoy an evening with the players and a magical mountain backdrop. Macayo's is among my favorite local places to eat, the atmosphere is fun,t he Mexican food is delicious and the portions are huge. Prices are extremly reasonable for what you get. It is located on E. Tropicana just past Maryland very easy to find. Hikari has my heart. This is all you can eat sushi and they really mean it. Many of the all you can eat sushi places in Las Vegas are times or they mean certain items on the menu are part of the deal but not at Hikari, here it is everything from the appetizers to the desert and it is all fantastic. They will special order for you or do half orders so you can try different things, the staff here is extremely friendly and always eager to please. I've been Las Vegas' famed Hamada's several times and while it is a very nice place their sushi does not live up to all the hype nor does their service. My only on strip recommend for sushi would have to be Tsunami in the Venetian but you are going to pay for its location and the sushi is no better than Hikari and the service certainly is not. Hoover Dam - If you're plans lead you over it anyway do not make an extra trip you will be spendingplenty of time on it. While construction is in the works for a fly over bridge to avoid the Dam the main road to Arizona currently crosses the damn so traffic backs up and you will be spending plenty of time there and get to take in the majesty that is man made wonder. Lake Mead - It is a big lake with really big mutated carp that have been fed popcorn and junk food and possibly small children. Oh and it's dirty. As a side note drink bottled water while in Las Vegas, you can pick it up at any local grocery store way cheaper than any where on the strip.Since I know you're going to gamble might I suggest that you do so at the casinos that are geared more towards the locals. I say this out of the kindness of my heart and the wisdom of many dollars spent. The strip casino's like all casino's want your money, the one's on the strip just happen to know that you are really eager to give it to them. The local casino's know that locals are a lot more reluctant so they tend to be a bit looser. Try the Station casiono's: Green Valley, Sunset, Red Rock or even the Orlean's that's close to the strip but it is a local favorite. While on the strip might I recommend you stop in and check out the Big Apple Bar at New York, New York they have a band there called Phoenix that plays covers and they are amazing. Also there is the dueling piano bar that is a must see but come early because seats are hard to come by. If you are a thrill seeker I recommend the roller coaster, but it is pricey for a roller coaster ride. The Bellagio is truley beautiful, and the lake in front offers water shows ever 1/2 hour in the afternoon and ever 15 minutes in the evening. Inside the lobby is an amazing glass sculpture your nose should lead you straight ahead to the famed gardens. Steve Wynn has also completed his hotel Wynn (someone's compensating), I have not yet seen it but have heard it rivals Bellagio in every way including its art gallery so I'm sure it's worth checking out. I can't leave out the Carnival that is squeezed in between Harrahs and the Casino Royale this is where they have nightly festivals with lots of drinking and live bands and ice cream yep thats fun. The Big Shot at the Stratosphere is great for thrill seekers. Going to the top of the tallest building around and then shooting at what seems like a zillion miles an hour up a spire on the top and ree falling back down, rinse and repeat, I'll take two. Fremont Street Experience is an enjoyable walk down memory lane. This is part of a revitalization project going on in Las Vegas so the area is still a bit sketchy but it is coming around. They have live musice, fress chances to spin the wheel and win prizes, yard margaritas, and the canapy light show. Now if I had to choose a hotel to stay at it would be Mandalay Bay, it is beautiful, easy to get to, remot enough to not feel crowded and everything you need is right there: House of Blues, Concerts on the beach, The Foundation Room, Rum Jungle, The Shark Reef, and Red Square. Definately my choice. For Las Vegas shows spend the money and see a Cirque Du Soleil show my personal favorite is "O" (the way I understand it is the first one you see is always your favorite) but I also highly recommend Blue Man Group I've seen them 3 times and been excited every time, I plan to go again. Now an over view of the other casino's because I've seen them just about everytime someone I know comes to town. MGM has the coca-cola museum as well as the M&M factory both fun novelties if you're looking to kill time, inside the same building is a massive arcade and a climbing wall as well as a movie theater. The Aladdin has a large shopping mall inside its belly with a store not found anywhere else in Las Vegas and the only reason I ever find to go there Z Gallery, I love this shop. There is tons of shopping in Vegas and if you enjoy browsing at galleries or window shopping or plain shopping you are in the right town. Ceasar's Palace has a huge mall that could take days to get through if you letit, inside this mall are moving statues and a sky that changes colors. Mirage has a volcano athat explodes. The TI has scantily clad women call Sirens who are part of a ship balttle of sorts at the front of their casino (this was once the TI which had pirate battle but now they are changing their image). The Venetian is what you think, canal like streets, shops, eateries, and gondoliers. The Paris has an Eiffel tower but beyond that I'm not very impressed. The Tropicana has a cool pool and my brothr swears there are penguins there. The Excalibur was awe inspiring when it was built and the Knights of the Round Table show is still wonderful but otherwise it's a bit grungy feeling and not worth wasting your time. Luxor is a yramid with a shpinx, and a waterway and the neatest part about this casino is that its elevators run diagnally (think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) only problemis you have to have roomkey to get into them. the Palms is the current "IN" place, what I like about this place is the lack of carpet, it's all wood floors which means it doesn't hold the dingy smoky smell that seems to be everywhere in Las Vegas. There are lots of very trendy people and trendy thing to see at the Palms oh and Garduno's more yummy mexican. As for nightlife, clubs here are essentially all the same, you are going to pay toomuch to get in or if yo get in for free because your host/conceirege/cabby "hooked" you up then you are going to pay a fortune for drinks. That the way it goes, all I can say is that why you came you're in Vegas this is why you came, enjoy it, shake it, drink,sweat and have fun!Phew well I said way more than I set out to but I hope that give someone a bit of an insiders view and if I can ever give more I gladly will.
bkretzer says:
Excellent review!! One of the best I have read!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2008
VegasBrittney says:
Thanks, I love this city there is always something to do, and even if you don't want to spend a fortune or are just looking for a friendly bar that is available to!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2006
Regor says:
I wish everyone would do a review of their towns, expecially the "famous" or "infamous" ones. You give a lot of great information. Thanks
Posted on: Sep 29, 2006