Living in Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki, Greece

Living in Thessaloniki Reviews

divinechaos divinech…
Greek Life Feb 01, 2010
Over a year ago, I returned to NY after living in Thessaloniki for 5+ months. I traveled to various parts of western-Europe and never regretted a single thing I did--only things I never got a chance to do. With my next European adventure only days away, I can't help but find myself wondering how I could have made my experience that much better.

1. Do NOT let anyone get in your way. The way my trip was organized left me surrounded by stereotypical Americans who took advantage of their experience abroad to be foolish and cruel to other people. This led to certain parties being ostracized, leaving others to feel the need to remedy said problem, and ultimately leading to a very elementary experience.

2. When in Greece--go to the islands. Greece in general is an expensive place to travel to and around in. Do not let this stop you. If you make the effort to go to Greece, go to an island. The mainland cannot be your only source of exposure to Greek life. In Thessaloniki specifically, if you can't afford to go to an island, visit Chalkidiki as often as possible.

3. The cities are not "typical Greek life". Simply taking a train from inner-Thessaloniki to one of the nearby towns is evidence enough. Experience more than the Tavernas in Plateia Aristotelous.

4. ALWAYS BUY A BUS TICKET. You may THINK you can cheat the system in Greece, and there are plenty of ways you can--do NOT risk the 35€ summons because you were too good for a 1,25€ bus pass. There are undercovers. And you will hate yourself for forking over over $60 American for something to trivial. Remember--that's at least 2 trips to Chalkidiki, including meals.

5. Visit the old city. It's old, but breathtaking. The innercity may not look like much when you're actually in it, but when you get to see it all lit up from the side of the mountain that the old city lies on--you'll understand why so many people love every inch of Greece.

6. Enjoy yourself. Be happy that you're there. And take in every moment with an open mind.

Check Thessaloniki Hotel Deals