Liverpool World Museum

William Brown Street, Liverpool, United Kingdom

Liverpool World Museum Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
I think this Museum is more for the small children Apr 21, 2015
We went to this museum as it was close to Lime Street Station and I wanted to be nearby ready to catch my train. I was a little amused because there was a massive sign saying "Museum" but didn't say what kind of museum until you got closer. Although once you know it's the World Museum that still doesn't give you much of a clue as to what's inside! But it's free so we went in to check it out.

It's kinda a weird museum really as it's more like 5 little museums inside one building. Each floor has its own theme. It's a cool idea but each floor is so small that you don't really get much of each theme. But this is what is on each floor:

1st Floor - Aquarium

2nd Floor - Bugs

3rd Floor - Dinosaurs

4th Floor - Ancient World

5th Floor - Space

In all honestly this museum is probably better for small children than adults but it's free so if you have some spare time it doesn't take long to wander around.
The blank museum sign
Some cool fish
Little crabby
World's laziest fish - they seriou…
Zagnut66 says:
Free is always good.
Posted on: Apr 24, 2015
sarahelaine sarahela…
Liverpool World Museum Jun 04, 2011
The world museum is in Liverpool, close to Lime Street Station.  It would be a great place to take a small child, but is not so great for older children and wandering museum junkies like myself.

It has a very nice aquarium, surrounded by small children looking for Nemo, and some very interesting coral reefs and flat fish.  There is the inevitable display on endangered creatures, a natural history part, some dinosaurs, and some ancient Egypt stuff.

There is also a Lambanana, which is a sculpture of a cross between a lamb and a banana.  At the time that made no sense to me at all.  There was a brief note saying that Mandy the Lambanana used to live in Toxteth, but nothing to explain the all important question of “why is that banana crossed with a lamb?” It took a research session on google to work out that the people of Liverpool had grown fond of lambananas because the original, much larger lambanana had been a piece of public art protesting about GM food but that everyone got used to having lambananas around and replicas, decorated individually, started to pop up all over the city.  And that, I’m afraid, is the reason I think this museum doesn’t deserve more stars.  Small children will love the dinosaurs and the nemo fish and things, but older children will ask questions (“what are all those ducks for?  What can I do to help endangered nemos?”) and there isn’t very much information to explain things to them.

That said, it is hard to be mean about any museum with dinosaurs.  Here, there is a megalosaurus (no, really) and a pterodactyl thing.  And most small children love dinosaurs.  Most adults secretly love dinosaurs too, and it is worth a short stop just to see the pterodactyl, if you happen to be passing.

There is good disabled access, and the museum is a nice size where children could see round without being overwhelmed (adults can get around in about an hour).  There are some nice activities for children, and an interesting looking little shop.  It is very close to Lime Street Station and would be a good bribe if you were doing other things in the city – you can tell your children, or your dinosaur loving adult friend, that if they are good whilst you are in the shops you will take them to see the pterodactyl.  It would work on me.
andmar andmar
A nice museum Oct 04, 2007
A highly recommended museum for anybody that is in or visiting Liverpool. The entrance is free, so nothing to loose and if you have kids it is a double bonus as the sections are kid friendly and interactive.

It is place in a nice central location with an art gallery next to it and the train station 3 minutes away.

I did not have much time as i was just killing some time before the time to catch my train was up but i was impressed and enjoyed my stay, even the brief one. Hope one day i will be back for a more extended visit.

Related Travel Blogs About Liverpool World Museum

Liverpool, one of my new favourite places.
When my uncle told me my brother and he were going to Liverpool, I was a bit jelous and asked him if I could come with. Of course I could, he said. And I don't regret coming with them. Liverpool was…Liverpool. We also visited World Museum Liverpool, a nice museum with very nive things like an aquarium, a space…
There are Places I Remember
The only major thing I had lined up for the day was a meeting with the music director of the Liverpool Cultural Council, and that wasn't until 1pm (Jesus, it took him a full hour to explain all the e…museum that is Liverpool. All along the way are gorgeously preserved and operational buildings that date back centuries. No wonder Liverpool

Check Liverpool Hotel Deals