Lingyin Temple

Lingyin Rd, Hangzhou, China

Lingyin Temple Hangzhou Reviews

SP169 SP169
Impressive temple but with terrifying crowds May 14, 2012
Lingyin temple is one of the top 10 temples in China. It occupies quite a large complex and has many exquisite statues and carvings. This temple is not as easy to get to as some of the major sites in Hangzhou near the Xihu (Westlake) area. During my visit, the temple was extremely crowded. Only the hall that houses the arhat statues was not crowded. The statues and carvings in Lingyin are of a grander scales than those I encountered in other temples around the Suzhou (Hanshan temple) and Shanghai (Jingan, Yufo/Jade Buddha) areas. The cave carvings in the Lingyin areas are very interesting as well. The large crowds do affect the atmosphere adversely.

We had to take a taxi to get to this temple. It is not easy to take a taxi back home from here. We ran into unscrupulous taxi drivers who wanted to drive us to Longjing village to buy expensive dragon well teas or to expensive silk stores to buy silk. When I explained to him in Mandarin that I already bought a lot of tea and was not interested in buying silk, he yelled at me "Why did you come to Hangzhou if you are not interested in buying silk? Our silk is the best in China". We were interested in going back to Xihu area but he was not willing to take us back. He was a very nasty taxi driver. We frequently ran into taxi drivers who kept wanting to take us to buy expensive tea and silk. Especially whenever we were near expensive 4 or 5 star hotels. I hope the City Government and Officials will look into this matter.

Sometimes we wanted to take a cab to get to the train station, but many cabs will refuse to take us. They wanted to take people who would buy tea and silk instead.

We had a bad experience buying tea from the tea farmers also. They charged very high prices and pressed us to pay in cash, etc. We had to have long discussions. I don't know how people who do not speak Mandarin get around.

When we first arrived in Hangzhou at the main train station, it was starting to rain. We found a cab, but he was not willing to run his meter. He charged 100 yuan, 4-6 times the usual rate just to go a few miles.
Johnpro Johnpro
Sculptured Buddha ! Aug 12, 2010
It's a very beautiful Buddhist temple in the mountain of Hangzhou .

Many statues are sculptured in the mountain rocks .

The area is very big , also looks like a big park where have a temple complex and statues on the rocks .

The Temple contains an important collection of Buddhist literature and really great figures .

They say if you see all the statues sure someone looks like you , ok not for the westerns but for the Chinese peoples :)

The sculptured statues are amazing in the rocks and all the

landscape really beautiful with small river and many others around !

It's the a highlight of Hangzhou by my side together with the lake .

And as I say ... one photo thousands of worlds :)

carved Buddha
Johnpro says:
Cicie thousands of photos on the way :) coming asap :)
Posted on: Nov 16, 2011
cicie says:
more pictures please :)
Posted on: Nov 16, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Lingyin Temple

First Day in Hangzhou
We needed to get up early and eat breakfast and then get on a coach bus to drop us off at a meeting point then we get paired off into our groups corresponding with the town we are in. The ones going …Hangzhou. I did some research on it and looks like a lovely town. I learned and saw pictures of West Lake, Lingyin Temple
trip in Hangzhou
Lingyin monastery is a famous temple in china. it is attracked many pilgrims every day. in front of the monastery is Feilai Pinnacle. it only cost me 1 hour to get the peak. and there … Lingyin monastery is a famous temple in china. it is attracked many pilgrims every day. in front of…
A party weekend in Hangzhou
I arrived in Hangzhou and got to Amy’s school by 1pm. We spent the afternoon chilling out, watching a movie, then it was time to head out for the evening. Mexican Daniel, Ben and Ruby from UIBE a…Lingyin Scenic Area, famous for the oldest temple in Hangzhou, the Yunlin Temple, and the largest sitting gold Buddha statue…

Check Hangzhou Hotel Deals