Lincoln Park Zoo

www.lpzoo.com - (312) 742-2000

Lincoln Park Zoo Chicago Reviews

WalterC WalterC
An okay zoo, that is free Aug 02, 2015
Located in the park of the same name, the Lincoln Park Zoo is one of Chicago’s zoos, located north of downtown. Getting to it, you would have to take a bus to get there, as none of the El train lines reach there. But still, more worth it than driving there.

This zoo has free admission, so you can split your visit into different days. Though relatively small, it can be seen in about 4 hours, which was how long it would have taken me, if not for a rain storm. And sometimes, you have to exit and enter the zoo, to get to different parts of it. Like getting from the main part of the zoo, to the Farm-in-the-Zoo part.

The highlights of the zoo for me…

1. Regenstein African Journey – a nice walkthrough the rainforest and savannah of Africa. And where you can see the rare pygmy hippo, the smaller version of the regular hippos.

2. Regenstein Small Mammal-Reptile House – where there are some reptiles and nocturnal animals are, which was one part. The other part is a walkthrough a greenhouse-like forest, where you see some of the small animals.

3. Regenstein Center for African Apes – where you can see gorillas both indoors and outdoors. Also the home of the chimpanzees as well.

And the huge disappointment…

Kovler Lion House – while the building looks nice, with its historical architecture, it lacks charm. It has outdated enclosures, reminding me of the old cat houses with concrete cages. Not comfortable for the cats in there, and not comfortable for me to have to see it.

The rest are either nothing special (which is numerous), with the exception of the McCormick Bird House. I thought that was a mixed bag would include the McCormick Bird House, which I liked how it was organized by different types of habitat, but did not like the outdated and dull-looking exhibits.

Definitely not one of the best zoos, and probably the lowest ranked one for me, as it does not compare to some of the others I have been to recently.

But it is not terrible at all. Far from it, as this zoo does have a good collection of animals, and a few nice sections to go through. And it is really hard to argue with the free admission, and being easier to reach, and not nearly as overwhelming to see. I would give it 3 stars!

And in case you’re wondering, there are 5 different buildings with the Regenstein name attached to it. I am sure someone can tell me who or what this Regenstein is.
historical zoo building (currently…
Kovler Lion House
jaguar?
a serval sleeping
RIGAS RIGAS
A five star zoo park! Nov 04, 2013
Αccording my plan for Chicago city, i let the zoo park for the last day of my stay there. The weather was sunny, my mood perfect, so i was absolutely ready to visit the zoo park.

I lost about 1 hour, because the supervisor in Damen metro station told me to use a bus, instead the more easier way by metro and 20 minutes by walking.

Luckily when I realized that nothing happens on the bus, I consulted a policeman and show me the right route to be followed!

Τhe entrance was free(!) and hundreds visitors, especially mothers with their kids were there. Later i learned that zoo park is open and free daily for whole year!

I was impressed by the wide variety of animals available in the park, as caiman lizard, Dumeril's ground boa, green tree python, dwarf crocodile, african lion, african wild dog, amur leopard, andean bear, amur tiger, chimpanzee, eyrasian lynx, jaguar, pygmy hippo, and decades bird species!

I spent almost 3 hours in the zoo and i enjoyed so much, because i had many years to visit a super zoo park.

From personal experience, is the second best zoo after Singapore zoo park.

If somebody feel tired, there is the Park place cafe to enjoy

tacos, pastas, burgers, sandwiches, pizzas fresh salads, wine and beers!

For the little demons, Wild things store is the best solution

for gifts, toys, t-shirts etc.

Zoo open 10a.m till 17:00pm, and located off Lake Shore Drive at the Fullerton Parkway exit, just minutes north of downtown Chicago. From I-94, exit at either Fullerton Parkway or North Avenue and go east.
Gorilla!
Glynnes Glynnes
Zoo Lights Dec 18, 2012
With nothing to do on a Friday evening in Chicago, I visited the Lincoln Park Zoo to look at the holiday lights. The zoo is decorated with over a million lights for this annual holiday event. The lights dance in sync with the holiday music and all throughout the park you can fell the holiday spirit. Zoo Lights starts on the last weekend in November and usually ends on New Year’s Day. Admission to the Lincoln Park Zoo is free every day.

Lincoln Park Zoo at 2200 N Cannon Drive (at Fullerton Avenue), Chicago, IL 60614

Hours: Sunday - Saturday 10am to 5pm

Phone: 312- 742-2000

url: www.lpzoo.org
Glynnes says:
Walter, Zoo Lights was very nice! I was surprised myself to see such a wonderful display of lights.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2012
WalterC says:
If I ever find myself in Chicago during this time of year, I'll have to remember to check this place out. It looks really nice!
Posted on: Dec 19, 2012
jamesdean252 jamesdea…
The price is right at Lincoln Park Zoo. May 17, 2011
Lincoln Park Zoo is in the heart of Chicago, its one of the oldest in the nation. It’s only a few minutes from downtown with a great view of the cities sky line. I have been to this zoo many times growing up over the years from family events and school field trips. Lincoln Park zoo has a wide variety of animals from cats, bears, birds, reptiles, and the list just keeps on going. The day we went the temperature dropped 20 degrees, which still wasn’t bad for a day in the low 60’s. Some of the animals were hiding inside but you could still check them out in the indoor exhibits but most of the animals were still able to be seen outdoors. You can’t beat the price since the zoo’s admission is free. Parking for under 3 hours was $19 which isn’t bad for being in Chicago. If you are in the area I recommend checking it out it’s a fun filled day for everyone and you can’t beat the price.
jamesdean252 says:
Its on the pay parking side near the lake.
Posted on: Jun 19, 2011
nik2blessed says:
ooops here!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2011
nik2blessed says:
you know, I prob drive past hear every time i visit and never seen signs, wow!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2011
kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
Yay for free Jul 04, 2011
Ok, Lincoln Park Zoo is free. Parking, on the other hand, is not. I was told that parking would be about $14, but it was actually $17, and that's only if you're there for less than 3 hours. You can't see the whole zoo in less than three hours. We got out in just under three hours, but we passed on some of the exhibits. You should definitely plan on spending 4-5 hours here.

Some of the enclosures were typical zoo size, for instance, the alpaca or the zebra or the rhinos, and the bears. Some animals had the option of being inside or outside, and a lot of them were actually in small cages inside.

I think overall, Lincoln Park zoo has a good selection of animals to see, but very little that you can't see at other major zoos around the country. We did see some animals, like an armadillo, that we hadn't seen before. After having seen some of the animals in the wild, such as a caiman or the sloth, it wasn't as impressive to see these animals in captivity, but I have to remember that not everyone has had the opportunity to see these animals in the wild.

Also here at Lincoln Park, you can find a great place to take a picture of the Chicago skyline, and there are beautiful nature areas to walk through outside the zoo area, and a conservatory as well.
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Babies at the Zoo Jul 01, 2010
To be quite honest, I did not have high hopes for Lincoln Park Zoo, and I don't know why, I LOVE zoos.

We got there mid-afternoon on a Friday in June. I expected a large crowd, since it was summer and the zoo is free. But, it wasn't overly crowded. It was a really awesome zoo. There are SO many animals, and we even lucked into seeing three different babies, a monkey, a stork, and the coolest of them all -- a zebra that was a week old to the day. Even though I didn't see any animals that I hadn't already seen, I was impressed with the zoo. The gorilla zoo was especially awesome.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the oldest in the country. It is a beautifully landscaped zoo. The zoo admission is free, but parking definitely is not. For the two hours we were there (and probably could have stayed longer), we paid $17.
perfektewelle perfekte…
Apr 25, 2007
If any of you are huge fans of animals, Lincoln Park Zoo is the place for you. The Zoo is free. There are several animals that you may not see in other zoos. In my experience, Lincoln Park Zoo is the only place where I have seen Lions and Giraffes. The Zoo is quite pleasant as it is divided into regions. I like to go to "Africa" to see my favorite animal. There is also a whole petting zoo to visit. My favorite part though, was that from the zoo you can see the whole skyline. On a beautiful day, you can easily get to the zoo by bus. This is the best zoo that I've been to, by far. Perhaps it's because they have Giraffes... perhaps it's because I was with friends... but I truly believe that they have created a magnificant zoo for people of all ages to visit.
travelman727 says:
Great review! I've been to Chicago many times, but have never visited the zoo. I'll try to make time for Lincoln Park next time :-D
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
genetravelling says:
I agree. This is a really great zoo. The Field Museum is also about as good as it can possible get. Talk about being blown away!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Lincoln Park Zoo

Africancrab's thoughts on Chicago and, it's popularity
Chicago is in the State of Illinois in the Midwestern region of the United States. It is also the largest city in Illinois and the third most populated city in the United States with a population of …Chicago) and the Lincoln Park Zoo. The city is incredible, the high rise buildings (the skyline was incredible as we approached…
Lincoln Park Zoo
We left early in the morning from Waukegan and headed to Chicago.   Of course I hate the drive with all the traffic, but we made our way there and found parking right outside the … We left early in the morning from Waukegan and headed to Chicago.   Of course I hate the drive…

Check Chicago Hotel Deals