Light Rail Seattle

Seattle, Washington

Light Rail Seattle Reviews

SeattleN SeattleN
Inexpensive, safe, clean and eifficient Mar 12, 2013
I live in Seattle, and have for a long while before we got the light rail. We were truly looking forward to its launch, and we were not disappointed. I live very close ot one of the stations and use it often.

(Please note, as of Sept 2012 we no longer have a "free ride" zone due to widespread State budget cuts. However, there is a 7 stop surface bus called "Solid Ground" that serves our low income residents)

A couple tips:

1) Westlake Center is the last stop and it is the one that will get you closest to the center of DT and places like Pike Place Market, the Monorail (which will get you to the Space Needle and Seattle Center), and the core of downtown.

2) International Street/King Street is the Chinatown stop. Stop into Uwajimaya which is an unassuming looking apartment building/store just across from the Station in Chinatown and you will walk into the largest Asian food market in the area. (also has a great Japanese bookstore attached!)

Make sure you buy your pass before getting on the train. While there are not large penalties for not paying, the hassle you will get from security is neither worth your time, nor any fun. Plus we need to pay for this rail to keep it in top shape! =)

Jump off and on to the #71, 72, 73 Express buses from inside the main DT stations to get to the University of Washington area and tour our awesome campus and U District for a nice walk and day trip.

Soon we will have a full surface trolley system that will connect Capitol Hill, First Hill and beyond.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Seattle!

(also, check out the very inexpensive and very worthwhile Water taxi (walk on at Pier 50) from the Seattle waterfront to Vashon Island Fauntleroy)
cromatica cromatica
Seattle's light rail and bus tunnel Jun 18, 2011
The best way to get around downtown Seattle and the surrounding area is by light rail. the light rail system is accessible in the bus tunnel stops at: Westlake, Universty Street, Pioneer Square, and the Internanitonal District (Chinatown). The buses are free to these stops, but the light rail is a great way to see the city and get to and from the airport.
Africancrab Africanc…
Riding the Link Light Rail from the Airport to Downtown Seattle Oct 13, 2010
For those of you who travel frequently to many parts of the world, public transportation is nothing new to you. Recently I was in seattle for 8 hours while I awaiting an international flight to Reyjkavik, Iceland. During the layover, my boyfriend and I, decided to spend the 8 hours touring Seattle's Space Needle. Great idea, I thought. I had always wanted to see the Space Needle.

Having checked in our bag all the way to Iceland, we did not have luggage to tag along as we wasted away 8 hours. We left the airport and decided to use public transport to and from downtown Seattle. The Light Rail was the more fisible option. We walked from the airport terminal through the parking garage to the Light Rail terminal located about quarter mile if you add the stairs.

There are automated ticketing machines, with the rail route maps. we purchased return tickets for $4.00 per person, which I thought was pretty reasonable. An airport shuttle would probably cost more than $30 each way. The train was just arriving when we got up to the departure platform. It took a little over 40 minutes to get us to the last stop, which happened to be Westlake.

Our experience was very good. I highly recommend using it, should you find yourself in Seattle. It is quite a distance from the airport, I would not take a taxi.
The Link Light Rail
Mark (mark184) at the Link Light R…
The Link Light Rail underground st…
Mark (mark184) at the Link Light R…
SeattleN says:
So glad to hear you had a good experience! I live in Seattle (very close to a light rail stop) and we have welcomed this rail with much gratitude and satisfaction. The more people use it from SeaTac airport, the better! Its clean, efficient, safe and inexpensive - I hope you come back for a longer stay in Seattle!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2013
Africancrab says:
I'm glad. I liked travelling on it and managed a shot of Seattle's skyline as well. I should post some more photos.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2010
sydny says:
Agreed. The Light Rail saved me a ton of money. Especially when I stayed overnight by the airport and went downtown twice to meet friends.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Light Rail Seattle

Africancrab on Seattle's Light Rail and Monorail to tour the Space Needle
With 8 hours to spare in Seattle, the adventurer in me could think of nothing better to do,  than to go tour the Space Needle. It has long been on my "to do" list. Mark (Mark184) was game, so of…Seattle Center.  First on the Link Light Rail from the airport to downtown Westgate terminal. There are automated…
The Space Needle
I got to visit the Space Needle while on a business trip to Seattle.  What can I say but when in Seattle, you have to see the Space Needle!  It is the symbol of Seattle.  (That and Sta…Seattle.  (That and Starbucks) It is easily accesible from the West Lake Link Light Rail Station.  Just…

Check Seattle Hotel Deals