Light House Lodge

Check Cape Town Hotel Deals

Light House Lodge Cape Town Reviews

kalbakk kalbakk
Jan 20, 2007
Before we even arrived to Cape Town we had to book a place to stay for a few nights. The description of this place sounded nice. "Great view, good location, at the foot of table mountain..pool and a jazz club" I imagined something along the ocean with an actal light house near by.

When we arrived here, in this so-called eco-village, the first thing we realized is that we're quite far away from Cape Town. The train station (which people tell you to avoid) were side by side, and our only way to get into town. On your right hand side you have big empty buildings, ready to collapse, on your left hand side you have barbed wire and "The Light House Lodge". A small town ship is your nearest neighbour, and the "short walk" to the grocery store is close to 3km (one way).

The room itself wasn't all that bad, if you look pass the giant hole in the roof. You have security lockers for your stuff, but you're still worried if someone is going to rob you.

The kitchen is filled with bugs and the bathroom isn't the cleanest place. The lady who runs the place is always on "African time", so if she says "I'll be there in 10 minutes", she actually means 30 minutes.

We never saw the so-called jazz club, and the pool was 300 meters away, and not very tempting.

My friend referred to this place as "the mexican hell hole", and I think he was right. This was our first meeting with South Africa.. and I must honestly say, after 4 nights in this dump, I was quite worried about the rest of the country. But luckily for us, this was the worst place we stayed at.

A big tip for everyone who's spending every night at hostels around the world. Make sure you read the reviews about the place before booking. We didn't, and we ended up here. I shiver when I hear "Pinelands"..
greenatoudemolen says:
I feal't I should comment on this entry.
The trains on first class are always great it only took me 10 minutes to get to downtown Cape Town. Conductors on the trains are very helpful and are there to protect you also. The village store (like a 7/11) about 100m from the Lodge had almost everything I needed. The swimming pool was across the road from the Lodge, less then 50m. This developing eco friendly village had its own veggie gardens, over 40 horses for rides, there's nowhere else in Cape town where you can get this and still be only 10 minutes from down town by car or train.
Their car hire was the cheapest in Cape town. The tours were great. staff very helpful. This lodge inside an Eco village which is inside the Two river Urban Park and so close to Cape Town really made my trip. On my walks and horse ride up the pathways to table mountain passing Devils peak and on to platte klip gorge up to the top of Table mountain was one of the best hikes I have ever done. So in my estimation if you like green, eco, sustainable living etc. Don't miss this Lodge or its Village.
I dont think the pictures give justice. The mess on the floor was their own and the darkness has been accentuated. I lived in this room for some time and really enjoyed my stay.
Posted on: Apr 05, 2010