Libertador Palacio del Inka

Peru

Libertador Palacio del Inka Reviews

starship1 starship1
Libertador Palacio del Inka Hotel Apr 16, 2014
While in Cusco, we would spend 2 nights at the "Libertador Palacio del Inka" hotel. It's a rather grand hotel, and this hotel was included in our tour itinerary. We tend to like nice hotels and we enjoyed the comfort, luxury and even the bit of history that the Libertador Palacio del Inka offered. The simple exterior of this hotel belies what is found within its walls -- Inca walls!

If you explore the first level of this hotel you'll find marvelously preserved segments of original Inca walls. A little tour of the ground floor will bring all sorts of surprises, but especially highlights the Inca walls, paintings, Spanish-style furniture, and rugs.

The Palacio del Inka is directly across from Korikancha/Qorikancha, and the hotel's website states that it "was the antechamber to the Temple of the Sun (Qorikancha), which one could only enter shoeless out of respect for the god." Immediately upon entering the Palacio del Inka, you find yourself in fairly massive lobby which is as imposing as it is striking -- deep blue walls, stone floors, columns supporting arched portico galleries, all over hung by a vaulted skylight.

Our room 271, on the second level, was an excellent retreat to come back to after a day of sightseeing. Our room had a perfect view directly onto the Plazoleta Domingo and the Church of Santo Domingo where local women often gathered in traditional Andean dress. Our room had 2 queen beds with thick, luxurious bedding; robe and slippers; flat screen TV; desk; and mini-fridge/bar. The bathroom was attractive, came with a granite-topped sink, a good shower and was stocked with plenty of thick towels and nice toiletries.

Amenities included the day long complimentary coffee and tea were always available just off the lobby. Each morning we made our way down to the ground level floor, down the stone corridors and past the Rumi Bar to the Inti Raymi Restaurant for breakfast. Each morning there was a nice buffet but we were also given the opportunity to order eggs any style, pancakes, etc. I ordered pancakes one morning only to find them quite different from what I'm used to but not unlikable! We usually had breakfast with another couple on our tour, but should we have liked to, we could have had our meal outside in the beautiful interior courtyard which also had preserved Spanish arches and architecture.

The last night of our stay at the Palacio del Inka, we had a farewell dinner in a private space on the lower level, and I was particularly impressed with the staff's willingness to prepare me a special meal which I felt wouldn't upset my still-recovering stomach---it was very good!

The Palacio del Inka Hotel offered top notch amenities such as internet throughout the hotel, the Palacio del Inka Spa, the T'ikariy Tour Desk, Pachucutec Business Center, banquet space, etc.

It's difficult to find anything to complain about in a hotel such as this one, but if I had to, it would be that the front desk staff could have been friendlier and the guest rooms needed a higher level of humidity added because Cusco is not only at an altitude of approximately 11,200 ft., and the air is thin, but it is also very dry--- it seemed particularly so in our room. I will only say that the lack of humidity made for a painfully throbbing, bloody nose each night!

This hotel is also used by other well-known tour groups.
german_eagle says:
Very helpful review on an excellent hotel. But I would have struggled with elevation too much :(
Posted on: Feb 20, 2017
spocklogic says:
Nice looking hotel!
Posted on: Jan 30, 2017
HORSCHECK says:
Sylvia, another great accommodation review with outstanding photos. Well done.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2017