Les Catacombes

1 Avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy, Paris, France

Les Catacombes Paris Reviews

jiggady_wig jiggady_…
Les Catacombes Mar 28, 2012
This was one of the things I really wanted to do when I visited Paris. Its location is not hugely visible, but you can tell from the long line of tourists standing out on the street. Upon entering you get to read about the history of the Catacombes - very interesting for those interested in the culture of places you're visiting. You then walk down into the dark, damp tunnels. The way that the bones were arranged, and the eerie vibe of the whole place, it's not something that many cities can offer. I can't remember the exact price but I don't remember thinking it was overpriced. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to anyone, especially those that love experiences that are a little quirky or freaky. Not recommended for people who get easily claustrophobic.
kenzhunter kenzhunt…
Interesting Stop away from the typical Tourist May 21, 2011
The catacombs were my favorite stop in Paris. I luckily discovered them because my cousin has lived in Paris for about 20 years, without him I would never of thought to visit them!

This is not for everyone, as it can be a bit overwhelming. I am slighting clausterphobic but I was ok, the only time I felt uncomfortable was going down the stairs to the entrance of the catacombs. The Tunnels are very wide and could fit about 5 or 6 people shoulder to shoulder in most parts.

I also recommend bringing a jacket as it gets much colder underground! I went during August, when Paris is very warm and I wished I had a sweater with me!

If you are looking for your not so typical tourist attraction this would be it! Even though the catacombs are remains of Parisians it is a beautiful, although eerie sight, and a place of peace.
fearlessflyer82 fearless…
An off the beaten path tourist spot Jun 07, 2011
The catacombs of Paris have existed since the end of the 18th century. They started out as stone quarries located deep under the streets of Paris. Today there is a museum that starts out by showing the various cemeteries that have been excavated and their contents moved underground.

I would recommend this museum to anyone who would like to see underground Paris and has a fascination with the macabre!
Floss2010 Floss2010
Gothic and intense May 18, 2011
...is the experience - not to be missed by any who go to Paris although if youve awkward shoes on or cant walk far then this attraction of tunnels, bones and skulls is not for you. If you get chance to watch the recent documentary Filthy Cities by Jon Snow's son BBC2 then this will add to the atmosphere.
bipbipouai bipbipou…
Interesting but puzzling visit Jun 19, 2010
Visiting the catacombs is quite an experience, it shows the big history of France and also the small history of people famous, noble or villain famous or anonymous who finished their course there. I keep a strange impression of my visit in the Catacomb, it was all together really interesting, oppressing at some point, and a bit disturbing. Despite all that I highly recommend it.

The word Catacomb in French Catacombe means a labyrinth of tunnel and underground gallery as a result of quarry exploitation.

At the end of the XVIII century the cimetière des innocents, a cemetery near the actual Halles was a cause of infection and the transfer of its "inhabitants" was decided to the catacombs. Part of them were separated and used as the ossuary of the cemetery. All the people buried at the cemetery during 10 century were then reburied all together, their bones where stored and assembled as sculpture. Quotes about life and death where later carved in stone and located everywhere in the catacombs. Amid this a chapel was built with the skull and other bones of some of the 6million Parisian who found there final resting place there.

Please if you visit it, do not make fun picture with the remains and do not try to steal them(they check your bag at the exit anyway).
"Stop, here is the empire of Death"
DonAus says:
This is creepy sounding but may still have to visit.
Posted on: Mar 20, 2012
LadyMaja says:
Thank you, I had never heard of it before!
Reason to go back to Paris!
Have a great weekend.
Posted on: Nov 12, 2010
dqfn1 dqfn1
Creepy, death all around you! Mar 15, 2007

The Catacombs in Paris, old limestone quarries filled with skulls and bones from the dead. The skeletons had to be removed after expansions of Paris. You'll be guided (either by a guide or because of the rout, it's one way) through a maze of skulls and other human bones. The entire walk is over 1,7 km long, thats mearly over 1 mile (1.05 and then some more numbers). It's pretty cold down there (over 25 metres, or 82 ft, below surface) about 14 degrees C, or 57.2 degrees F. That's no problem in Autumn or early spring, but in high summer... going from 30 down to 14... wow!

There are signs telling you from which graveyard the bones are from and in some very rare cases even to whom the bones belong too.

Some skulls are damaged because visitors wanted to take a souvenir with them. Others are damaged by time.

If you can stand the cold, the creepy and macabre sight this is an absolute must see.

Related Travel Blogs About Les Catacombes

The Eiffel Tower.
The whole time I was in Paris, I put this off time and time again.  But, seeing as it was my first time in the City of Love & Lights, I figured I would have to do it at least this one time. …Les Catacombes de Paris on a Sunday afternoon ,  therefore I decided to take on this monument.  2.5 hours…
Shopping, Les Catacombes and Fancy Dinner Night
Charles and I got up super early and went out to find him a formal shirt. After sleeping in Suse left that morning as well. Samantha and Jesse slept in and awaited our return so we could do some si…Paris , dating from 1852. It supposedly can’t compete with Galeries Lafayette but that would have to wait until we had more time and money. The department store more…

Check Paris Hotel Deals