Leon Boutique Hotel

Chitanava Street, Sokhumi, Georgia

Leon Boutique Hotel Sokhumi Reviews

maykal maykal
Leon Boutique Hotel Jul 05, 2016
The Hotel Dioskuria was fully booked when I decided I wanted to stay longer, so I booked the Leon Boutique Hotel on the same website. Almost immediately, I got an email in Russian asking for a bank transfer in advance. A little odd, so being in Sokhumi, I paid them a visit. The English-speaking lady at reception laughed and said it didn't matter, i could pay in cash. It turned out that she was the lady who spoke to me on the phone at the Dioskuria...it's her friend who owns that hotel!

Anyway, the Hotel Leon is a step up in quality although not really in price (it was a few rubles more than the Dioskuria). The location is good, being close to the seafront on a quiet road with a couple of shops. Local marshrutkas didn't pass this way much, so it was a bit of a trek to get to the bus station, but a taxi there arranged through reception only cost me 150 rubles.

My room was about the same size as the one in the Dioskuria, and it being a new hotel, everything was brand new and modern. Tea was provided in the room with a kettle (again, no coffee! Don't Russians drink coffee in their rooms?!), as was bottled water. Wi-fi was provided free of charge, although the connection wasn't always that reliable in the room...it worked best down in the bar. My room was at the back of the hotel, with a view of a residential courtyard and a partially destroyed old building, and one annoying thing was that the window didn't fully open as it was covered with an insect screen that wouldn't lift up far, but that was the only drawback.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant on the ground floor, and was huge. I stayed for three nights, and was never brought the same breakfast twice...something cooked (one day it was omelette, another day it was sausage), bread, yoghurt or porridge, fruit juice, sometimes cheese, sometimes jam. But it was always good, and I was given the choice of tea or a coffee from their proper espresso machine.

In the evenings, the restaurant serves a range of Russian, Japanese and Abkhaz/Georgian dishes chosen from an absolutely huge menu. It was always busy (maybe because it was during the Euro2016 football championships which were being shown on a large screen), and has the added attraction of a bar that stays open until 11. I ate here once (not being a huge eater when it is hot, I just had the Abkhaz version of khachapuri, an eye-shaped bread with melted cheese in the centre topped with a fried egg), but ended each evening here with a Sokhumskoye beer on the outdoor terrace.

A big big plus was that there were several excellent English speakers here, despite the clientele being almost entirely Russian. Three of the receptionists were very good, and the best English speaker was a very friendly Abkhaz waitress who was brought over whenever the receptionists struggled. I asked about tours to the mountains, and they helped translate a long list of excursions offered by one of the agencies in town, eventually arranging a tour to Lake Ritsa for the following day. The minibus picked me up from the hotel the next morning, and the price was the same as that offered at the agency booths on the seafront.

After two nights, I decided I wanted to stay an extra night, but the receptionist told me they were fully booked. Before I had chance to ask if she could recommend alternative accommodation, she said "give

me a few minutes, I'll see what I can do" and in the time it took to drink a beer, she came back to me

with the good news I could stay on in the same room!

The price for one night was 3700 Russian Rubles for a basic twin room (51 Euros, £43, $57 as of July 2016), although more expensive luxury rooms are also available...the basic room was luxury enough for me though. Payment was again only in cash, as the machines didn't accept non-Russian cards.
Seafront close to Leon Boutique Ho…
Khachapuri and Sukhumskoye Beer in…
Leon Boutique Hotel Map