Lemurs Park

Antananarivo, Madagascar

Lemurs Park Antananarivo Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Peculiar Primates and Global Primatology Dec 30, 2012
We had stayed about 48 hours on the Island when we decided we should go out and see the some attractions of the Island. Having read a little about the unique nature of the Island’s natural habitat and rare animals, I was eager to go see the national parks and local culture. Don was just as excited; the journey seemed not to have fazed him having worked late the night before our journey. We were well rested after 48 hours of course and the adventure was about to begin.

Our driver picked us up from the hotel; he spoke relatively good English and seemed to know much about his native Island. He had such a welcoming demeanor that it was easy to talk to him and joke around as we drove the few miles to the park entrance.

The park is located about 22 km out of Antananarivo. It is a zoological and botanical park with rare species of plants, animals, and insects. It is a smaller park and normally a stop en route to other parks. At most you should spend an hour or two, but definitely worth seeing.

The park gets its name from the cat like primates known as lemurs. They are unique to Madagascar making them a source of attraction for visitors and scientists. I remember the first time I saw them, I was not sure if they were dogs or squirrels; perhaps a cross between the two. They have glowing yellow eyes and climb trees like monkeys, but will run on the ground like dancing ballerinas.

We had close encounter with the lemurs which are quite friendly. It took me a while to get the feel for them just because they look really peculiar. I could not get past the eyes, but then after a while it all went away. Don did not mind them and enjoyed watching them play around, paying attention to their behaviors as if he were going to write a report about them.

Now do not get your hopes too high, this is more of a habituated park and the lemurs are not on a wild natural diet, because of this some of the lemurs looked malnourished. The staff at the park were friendly and seemed well informed about the primates they watch over. Our guide on the other hand is the one who made us feel more at ease with his knowledge of the lemurs and entire Island. I felt like a history student.

The park was well maintained and reminded me of the Jane Goodall Chimpanzee sanctuary in my home country of Uganda. Once we were done with Lemurs Park, we headed off to the natural and wild National Parks were the animals run wild and free. The eyes of the lemurs haunted me for months after I left Madagascar, but nothing traumatic. I guess it was my own devils playing in my mind. All in all, I would recommend lemur, but if you are pressed for time, I suggest you go ahead to the National Parks.

"Do not leave for tomorrow what you can do today!"

Check Antananarivo Hotel Deals